Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Oh, and if you use a lifeline and stitch markers, don't thread the lifeline through the stitch markers.

I've never done that, nope.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 AM   #12
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

I'd like to think lace knitting is easy once you learn the basics, but I am crazy-determinded to do everything... So far I've only done a small lace bracelet, but I thought it was really good fun, and easy too! The one I did only had 21 stitches, with a 10 row pattern that was really easy to follow with the chart, and then from memory.

The only problem about it is when I went to make one for myself (the first one was for a friend), I had the most horrible luck with it and ripped it back to the beginning more times than I want to talk about. If I give it one more try, I will most certainly use a lifeline. The bad knitting juju scares me though so it might not happen, LOL!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTperdita.html

(I did the 'Bluebell' one)

Oh and it doubles for a handy introduction into beading if you haven't tried it already!
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:05 AM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver
I get ace knitting... mostly. I just have one question:
I've seen two different kninds of yarn overs; one where you put the yarn inbetween the two needes, and another is when you wrap the yarn around the needes. Which one's a yarn over and which one is... not a yarn over? (I think I've asked this before, but I forgot )
If you put the yarn between the needles, bringing it to the front, and then do a knit stitch after that - it's really the same as a yarn over.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:15 AM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Advice from a lace knitter:

Be picky about your needle! If Addis or Options are too slippery, if you tend to drop stitches from them...convert your work to wood or bamboo.

Keep track! Utilize post-its and highlighters to mark your work. After a while, you will memorize the pattern, but don't get too cocky! Check your pattern often! Like hiking the 12" trails on the edges of the Grand Canyon, you gotta know where you are placing your feet at all times! No daydreaming!

Count stitches! Do a "head count". After every working row, I count my stitches in each *section. My errors are usually in missing a yarn over, or, for inserting an unnecessary yarn over.

*Utilize stitch markers to define sections of stitches determined by you or by the pattern. Stitch markers make the "head count" easier. Be a good 'hike leader'...make sure everyone is accounted for!

Don't try for SPEED with lace knitting. ACCURACY is the mantra.
Lace knitting requires a different mindset.

Maybe I sound a bit like Monk, but, I don't want to TINK more than one row, and don't usually have to.
I do not leave mistakes uncorrected, regardless of the 'invisibility' of the error.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #15
five_six
Turning the Heel

As someone new to lace knitting - but loving it - i prefer wooden needles myself... the only problem i find (and maybe this is the novice in me, who hasn't spotted a probelm that needs correcting yet), is that on my patterning rows, my work can get twisted around the needle and tight to move, unless you to a little untwist manipulation first, however this tends to work itself out on the purl rows, where it becomes very easy to manipulate again.

Maybe i do my yo's too tight, but practice will make perfect.

Do it, its fun!

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
To five_six:

If your work is becoming too tight to move: loosen up. Your work should not be that tight. Takes the joy out of the RS pattern row. Try to throw your stitches more loosely. (well, if you knit using the "throw the yarn" method). Just keep practicing at a looser gauge. You are tense, and that is why you are knitting so tight. The work should easily move back and forth on the needle.

Another thought: are you using CLOVER needles? They are "stickier". They drive me crazy.

For wood, I prefer Lantern Moons, either ebony or rosewood. Smooth as butter.

I am knitting a cashmere scarf at this time, fingering weight, and I am using OPTIONS (metal) because of the sharper tips. They are REALLY slippy, I have to watch my stitches, but the sharper tips make all the K2Tog's and SSK's easier.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #17
five_six
Turning the Heel

you know, it could be the way i wrap the yarn, i find it works great for straight knit work (but it is fairly tight i guess, i apparently knit the 'welsh' way, and i double wrap my pinky finger normally, then either double or single wrap my pointer, depending on the yarn)... i guess, i just have to get the hang of my work being 'looser' and not thinking it's of poorer quality if it does...

oh and my needles, they are just some cheapy $5.00 things, i haven't really 'invested' in them yet. My dh thinks my yarn habit is quite enough, and when i did say i needed more needles, his response was to say, don't you already have a pair ... so needless to say, i think 'nice' needles are just abit out of my league at the moment, and i'll have to learn to adapt to the ones i have.

thanks for your resonse

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #18
Lieke
Working the Gusset

I love knitting lace. I taught myself, it's not that difficult. If you know how to do YO K2tg etc, you can do lace. Just follow the pattern and everything will work out fine. I never used a life line before, I always manage to get my stiches back on the needles without a life line, although a life line would make things easyer (but I'm to lazy to use one) One thing with lace knitting is you have to stay concentrated. I can watch tv, while knitting lace, but I notice I miss more of the program than with simple stockinette. Just try it and you'll see you love it.

Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote