Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
birdbeaty
Ribbing the Cuff

how can you end with a RS row and then the next be a RS too

I am enclosing a portion of a pattern. Row one is a RS row. You knit for 2.5" and end with a RS row. THEN, the gathering rib row 1 is also a RS row. How is this possible??? I guess I'm just stupid..... Am I making sense? It seems contradictory to me.
Help???
Thanks,
Linda
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	instructions.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	34807  
birdbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Looks like you have a decrease row on the WS before you resume on the RS again. It's easy to miss, because the instructions are given under the "Row 2" heading.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
That's the way I read it, too. You end your pattern stitch with a right side row and then decrease on the next (WS) row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
five_six
Turning the Heel

yep, i see it too, it's easy to miss but it says there is a decrease row in there "decrease 22... etc" which would be your WS row.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
birdbeaty
Ribbing the Cuff

RS WS?
I was reading the pattern TOOOO literally. Assuming that the "end with RS row" would actually be the end, and that the decreases would be made there. Seems to me to be rather poorly written. But, nonetheless,
I got it now. Thanks for your help!
birdbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

Re: RS WS?
Originally Posted by birdbeaty
I was reading the pattern TOOOO literally. Assuming that the "end with RS row" would actually be the end, and that the decreases would be made there. Seems to me to be rather poorly written. But, nonetheless,
I got it now. Thanks for your help!
I was reading it like this too. I really want to learn to read patterns better. That is my whole problem. I just don't get it. It says ending with a RS row. Wouldn't that be the last row? If you are to end with that row wouldn't that be the row to dec on? I guess I will always be asking how to read patterns because I just interpret it wrong.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You probably won't have any trouble figuring out what patterns mean, most of them are written a lot more clearly than this one.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote