Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
RuthK
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting for an auction
I was planning on knitting a couple of booga bags to donate to a local school for a fundraising auction, and it just struck me that I didn't know if that was ethical. I wouldn't be making any money off of the design, but the school (hopefully!) would. Any thoughts? Am I being overly cautious or not cautious enough?
RuthK is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
I know a lady that's used patterns out of books to make and donate afghans for auctions, no prob. there. I don't know why it wouldn't be ok if you knit a few booga bags. I'd do it.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I would think it would be alright since its more like knitting for charity and you're not making a profit from the bags.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
RuthK
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the replies! I'll assume it's okay.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
If you're really concerned, you can write to the author of the pattern and ask her. I'm sure that she'd be willing to talk about it with you. However, on the bottom of the page where she wrote the pattern, she writes:
Quote:
Oh yeah, this pattern is the property of me (Julie Anderson aka Booga J) and all that good stuff. Feel free to print out a copy for yourself, but please don't sell it. And also, please do not make bags to sell from this pattern.

If you are a yarn store owner and you would like to sell, distribute or use this pattern for a class, or in any other way, please email me to obtain a license. Thanks & Happy Knitting!
Because of that, I would email her: julie@blacksheepbags.com

I made a lace scarf for an auction recently, and I bought the pattern specifically for that purpose from the author, who knew why I was looking for the pattern. Since then, the pattern copyright has been sold, but I had permission to use the pattern for that purpose at the time. My scarf did so well that I'm considering doing a sweater or a shawl for next year's auction. Good luck!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
RuthK
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh, thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that on the pattern page - probably I was trying not to hyperventilate at the idea of felting. I just emailed her and will update here with the reply if anyone else is curious.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I am definitely curious!

In the queue:
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

Old 12-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
RuthK
Ribbing the Cuff

I already got a (very nice) reply back from Julie:
Quote:
I do allow bags to be made for charity auctions. I only ask that you label the bag so that it says it was designed by Black Sheep Bags and that all proceeds from the sale of the bag go to the charity. (In addition, the bag must be handknit.)
So, it's a go! She also said that some other people have had good luck with the bags doing well in auctions, so I'll hope I have the same experience.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Good luck at your auction! Let us know how well it does!

In the queue:
, water bottle cozy

Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

I made clogs for my sons auction all the money was going to charity. I didn't even think of this when I made them.
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote