Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
birdbeaty
Ribbing the Cuff

how to decrease on a Ribbing row of K1, P1, K1, etc
What is the easiest way to decrease on a ribbing row of K1, P1, K1, P1, etc? I've tried it several different ways and it just doesn't look right to me...???
Thanks,
Linda
birdbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I've been thinking about this.. :thinking: No matter what decrease you use it will show. I think as long as you are consistent and the decreases are evenly space if possible it will look fine. What are you making? Do you have a link to a pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
birdbeaty
Ribbing the Cuff

decrease on a ribbing row
I am knitting the "Garden Party Sweater and Purse" for my granddaughter from the Better Homes and Garden's Knitting Year Round. There MAY be a link somewhere, but I don't know. I am attaching a photo. As you can tell, the "front" of the bottom ruffle would normally be the back side. I just can't seem to make the decreases look "nice". I'm sure I'm too picky. As my quilting teacher used to say - "A man on a galloping horse will never know the difference".
Linda
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sweater_132.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	34846  
birdbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
From looking at the photo it appears to be decreased evenly around (or across). I think it only looks strange to you because you don't have the whole picture yet. Keep going, I'm sure it'll look fabulous!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Instead of making 2 into 1 when you decrease, try making 3 into 1 (a double decrease). This should allow you to stay in rib. E.g., if you use p3tog (to bring together a P, a K, and a P), the new P will still have K's on each side so the rib pattern will be maintained. Remember to take into account that each decrease will reduce your stitch count by 2 when you do your calculations.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do you continue in rib stitch after you decrease? It doesn't quite look like it on the pattern. If the next row is a knit or purl for stockinette stitch, do the decreases on that row.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq
Do you continue in rib stitch after you decrease? It doesn't quite look like it on the pattern. If the next row is a knit or purl for stockinette stitch, do the decreases on that row.

sue
Good catch, Sue. How did I overlook the picture? Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees!

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote