Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
MrsJSD
Ribbing the Cuff

how to handle ends of slub/bouclé yarn
I have a work near completion in which I combined 5 yarns. (I prefer not to discuss the wisdom of that choice at this time.) Two of the yarns are Ironstone's Felicia, a cotton and rayon blend, slub-bouclé type. The other yarns include raw silk, baby cashmerino, and a narrow silk ribbon.

I cannot 'weave' the ends of the Felicia into the body of the garment. The bumps will NOT go through. What's the best way to handle these yarn ends? They are at the edges, where I changed yarn types.

Currently knitting a Weasley sweater in Rowan Felted Tweed for a nephew, the pullover "Erica" in Noro Cash Iroha, and E.Zimm's "Pie are Square" shawl in possum laceweight.
MrsJSD is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
knitasha
Turning the Heel

You might try laying each boucle end flat across the back of the piece and whip-stitching over it with a tapestry needle and a strand of thin, smooth yarn -- maybe the baby Cashmerino. About an inch of closely-sewn stitches should be enough to hold the end in place, and if you are careful not to sew through to the front, should look quite neat. Hope you don't have too many of these to do! As for the wisdom of your mix -- it sounds beautiful and original.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Originally Posted by knitasha
You might try laying each boucle end flat across the back of the piece and whip-stitching over it with a tapestry needle and a strand of thin, smooth yarn -- maybe the baby Cashmerino. About an inch of closely-sewn stitches should be enough to hold the end in place, and if you are careful not to sew through to the front, should look quite neat. Hope you don't have too many of these to do! As for the wisdom of your mix -- it sounds beautiful and original.
What she said! That's a very good idea.
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote