Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
nanettecelina
Casting On

Wheel "Slipping"
This is a bit difficult to describe, but does this make sense to anyone? I have a beautiful Kromski "Symphony" that was a Christmas gift and I have been spinng on it everyday! I had been spinning with a hand spindle and and am now turning out some pretty good, and consitant yarn, if I do say so myself. I'm working in a NZ Corriedale. My problem is that the bobbin/flyer "slips a little jump" while winding on the newly spun yarn. I suspect that it is due to a tiny knot in the juke drive band. Does this make sense? I can't watch it while it's spinning and don't see it happen if I run the wheel while not spinning, I suspect that the actual spinning of the yarn puts enough tension on the drive band that it's causing the little "slip/jump". It's a bit annoying because it pulls at the yarn suddenly and can cause a break, and like I said it's new to me and every little inconsistancy is very noticeable.
I have a spinning book that has instructions for "splicing" a drive band and I'm thinking of buying new jute and making a new band, the band that is now on there really does not allow much room for adjusting. If that is my problem and I need to make a new band where do I get the jute string, one book recommends "parcel post twine"?
Thanks!!!!
nanettecelina is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
spinnknit
Ribbing the Cuff

I like to use linen carpet warp for my drive bands. I always splice them, never tie a knot.

It may also help your band 'grip' the drive wheel better if you take a bit of paraffin (or canning wax) and pull the new drive band over it a time or two. It will help it grip the wheel better.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
nanettecelina
Casting On

I did splice a new band and it is MUCH better! Thanks for the help!
nanettecelina is offline   Reply With Quote