Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
figaro
Working the Gusset

I knew I was forgetting one! Thanks losnana for reminding me of the cat beds I have made! I have made 4 out of really old acrylic that my old neighbor gave me and I used 2 different yarns at the same time. I just held onto the yarns and knit the squares on size 13 needles. Also a very easy project to do.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Mrs. Columbo

Originally Posted by losnana
Many animal shelters use "blanket" knitted of washable wool or acrylic to put in the bottoms of cages. Usually 12" X 12" or 15" X 15" . If your daughter is an animal-lover, that might interest her.

I actually found the "Snuggles" project on a page that I was given that lists the various charities ..... they do have some shelters here in Vancouver who are members of the Snuggles project so I'm sure Alanna would love that .... she loves animals ... we have two Bullmastiffs, she grew up with Bull Terriers and is always wanting to visit the SPCA ... only problem there is you want to bring home everything you see ... she had to leave her horse in Newfoundland and there is a shelter for horses that accepts Snuggles ...

Is there anything to keep in mind when knitting for dogs and cats? Any particular type yarn or pattern? I guess something that's not too open so nails can't get caught.

Toby
Old 01-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #13
figaro
Working the Gusset

I think the big thing to remember is that the shelters/Humane Societies will probably want the blankets to be washable. When I make them, I cast on (with acrylic yarn), 35 stitches and then knit so that it looks like a big square. Then I bind off and done! Very easy and I am sure the animals and the people at the shelters appreciate them.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
Mrs. Columbo

Originally Posted by figaro
I think the big thing to remember is that the shelters/Humane Societies will probably want the blankets to be washable. When I make them, I cast on (with acrylic yarn), 35 stitches and then knit so that it looks like a big square. Then I bind off and done! Very easy and I am sure the animals and the people at the shelters appreciate them.
I'm going to mention it to Alanna .. I'm sure she will love to make those as she can straight knit ... she finds purling a bit awkward ... and the Surrey SPCA is very near us so she can deliver them herself.

Toby