Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
ejingram
Casting On

Looks like knit on both sides
Hi,

My sister has a scarf that looks like "knit" on both sides. I saw something on Knitty Gritty but I can't find it on thier website and I don't know the name of the stitch.

Does anyone know how to do that stitch?

Thanx
Ellen
ejingram is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Welcome to the forum!

Scroll down to Double Knitting on this page. I think that might be what you're looking for.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
madametj
Working the Gusset

Welcome to Knitting Help ejingram!

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
ejingram
Casting On

Jane,

Thanks. I will check that out.

Ellen
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
ejingram
Casting On

Jane,

I'm not familiar with this forum. Could you please send me the url?

Thanx,
Ellen
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquaria
Knitting the Flap

I'm also trying to do double knitting but I somehow always ended up doing a seed stitch... What am I doing wrong?
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ejingram
Jane,

I'm not familiar with this forum. Could you please send me the url?

Thanx,
Ellen
See how the words "this page" in my previous post are in a different color? That means it'll open up the link if you click on it. You can also get there by clicking on the "Advanced Techniques" tab at the top of this page.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
ejingram
Casting On

Sorry, I didn't see the difference in the color. I'm color blind.

I did look at how she was knitting, that's not how her scarf is. It does look like how the woman did it on the video, but it's not that thick.

It's done something like k1, sl st to right needle, k1, I do even amount of stitches, but when I k1 every other stitch on the next row, it looks more like a purl than a knit.

I don't know if I'm explaining it right and I know I am definately doing it wrong.

Thanx for your help....

Ellen
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
do you happen to remember what the name of the scarf was, when it aired, what other projects were in the show? anything like that?

I find doing searches on www.diynetwork.com can be kind of tedious but if you know more about the show, someone who watches might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ejingram
Sorry, I didn't see the difference in the color. I'm color blind.

I did look at how she was knitting, that's not how her scarf is. It does look like how the woman did it on the video, but it's not that thick.

It's done something like k1, sl st to right needle, k1, I do even amount of stitches, but when I k1 every other stitch on the next row, it looks more like a purl than a knit.

I don't know if I'm explaining it right and I know I am definately doing it wrong.

Thanx for your help....

Ellen
Oops! Sorry Ellen. My brother is color blind too, so I should know better. Anyway, I'll try to do links in bold so they show up better.

Do you happen to have a picture of your sister's scarf?

ETA: There is a way to do double knit where only one side is worked at a time. E.g., for Row 1, you would work your Side A stitches, while slipping the Side B stitches. Then, for Row 2, you work the Side B stitches, while slipping the Side A stitches. The technique that Amy demonstrates it is faster since you do both sides at once, but not everyone likes to do it that way since it requires holding both yarns at the same time. I know you said the fabric is not that thick, but could it be possible that the scarf just uses a lighter weight yarn?