Old 01-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to stefcap
What does size 2/17 mean?
I am watching an auction on ebay and am not sure if I should buy it or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=006

What would 2/17 equal in regular knitting gauge?

Also it says machine knitting yarn, but could I also hand knit with it? My boyfriend wants me to knit him the Double Helix Seaman scarf in Hunter green, and I found that yarn.

Should I get it or what?

Thanks

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

This page explains what those numbers mean. Personally, I find it all very confusing and would probably just contact the seller rather than trying to figure it out myself. If they don't know what it would be in hand-knitting terms, ask them to measure the WPI (wraps per inch) for you to get an idea. Info here.

My guess is that it's pretty fine, but you can always use multiple strands to get the gauge you want.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

I think that would certainly be fingering weight or lighter, maybe laceweight even. Yarn that is sold for machine knitting frequently comes with sizing oil on it. Sometimes it is possible to knit with it as is and the oil comes out when you wash the garment for blocking. However, I have bought some coned yarns on which the oil was so thick that it could not be knit without washing first.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote