Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
OT: Got any Stew tips?
I'm making some stew on the stove. It's been simmering for hours, but is still watery. It tastes great, but how do I thicken it without changing the flavor too much?

Also, if you have some good recipes I would love them. I make Italian Stew everytime, which can get a bit old.

Thanks!

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high, add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir constantly until the roux turns a deep shade of blonde.

Stir that into your stew a little bit at a time, letting the stock simmer for a couple of minutes in between.

Still not thick enough? Do it again.

I've got stew recipes at home, lemme see what I can come up with.

Oh yeah, and try dredging the meat for your stew in flour before you brown it off, it helps things thicken up quicker!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
five_six
Turning the Heel

exactly what i was gonna say, but sometimes i just get a tablespoon of butter and make a paste with it and some plain flour, then put this paste into the stew - works the same way, but you don't have the extra dirty pot, which is always a bonus!

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
I didn't know you could add roux to a stew, I thought you had to add liquids to it. I make alot of sauces from roux (the flour/fat paste), but never knew that it works the other way. I was really worried about flour lumps or something. lol.

Many thanks!

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

If you're worried about lumps, stir some of the stock into the roux before you add it to the pot.

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

Mix 2-3 TBLSP cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water. Wisk until smooth. SLowly drizzle into stew mixture.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
five_six
Turning the Heel

i don't often use cornstarch (or cornpowder where i come from), i find it gives a different (can't quite explain in what way different) result and i usually just reserve that for asian cooking... i use a roux generally for most things, and have never had a problem with it lumping (unless i dump it in and walk away )

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Definitely add a roux. I also usually add pepper to my flour whenever I'm mixing it.

I'm a big stew person and I'm famous for my Samhain stew which I make every Halloween. I coat the meat in flour before I brown it, and the stew thickens up beautifully every time.

I also always have potatoes or rice in my stew, and the starch in the vegetables also adds thickness.

Good luck! Now I'm hungry!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote