Old 01-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
joe_doufu
1st Leg of the Journey

name that animal
I finally found a big professional wool market in Beijing. It's called 毛纺城市场 and I'll post more about it when I have photos from my friend's camera.

While there I got the wool pictured below. The two big bunches (is "hanks" the word?) are wool yarn which is translated directly from chinese as "sheep hair line" so I know what it is. The smaller, er, rolls(?) are from another animal, and I don't know the english name, and can't imagine what it might be. Look at the picture and tell me what you think it is. Maybe otter wool? The yarn is nice and soft and to my untrained fingers doesn't feel any different from sheep wool.

The otter is going to make a nice hat for one of my female co-workers. You can't see in the scan but the lighter one is a super pale blue that she likes.

The rust and brown yarns look good together (to me only, apparently) and are similar to the colors of a robin. I don't know how to describe the thickness in English except that it's thicker than worsted weight. It feels soft and is relatively low on "frizzyness". I got quite a bit of it. Any project suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	animal.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	35042  Click image for larger version

Name:	yarn_111.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	35043  
joe_doufu is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
PurpleMittens
Ribbing the Cuff

That's definitely an otter / ferret / mink, etc. I was unaware you could make yarn out of their hair though, maybe it is just an emblem? Their fur is very very soft, and perhaps the label is simply meant to indicate that the yarn is similarly soft, if not necessarily actually made from the actual animal.
PurpleMittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
joe_doufu
1st Leg of the Journey

Nope, I talked to the lady. They told me the animal is called "diu" in Mandarin, but I'm not sure to which animal that label corresponds to.

I also saw a very stringy yarn today from an animal described as "a kind of a bird that lives in Africa or some place like that"... ostrich or penguin down, perhaps? I didn't buy that one though.
joe_doufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
five_six
Turning the Heel

Re: name that animal
Originally Posted by joe_doufu
The rust and brown yarns look good together (to me only, apparently)
Well i happen to think that is a beautiful colour combination myself - exactly my colours!

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
I've been having a google about this one - couldn't find any reference to the name of the wool, and Diu is either a region in india or an extremely rude word in cantonese (Care of wikipedia).

I'm still looking though - very interested in otter wool

I'm also about to shave a cat who seems content to become a part of my knitting one way or another!

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
Care of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diu_%28Cantonese%29

Warning - swear words and explicit language on that page! Please please don't read it if you don't want to read that kind of stuff.

"Diu is indeed an old word in the vernacular Chinese language. Anyone familiar with the classic novel Water Margin should know the word by heart, where it is written as 鳥 (which indeed means "birds") "

So maybe it is bird - I hope so as some of the other options on that page would worry me if made into wool.

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
mulene
Working the Gusset

diu in pinyin is thulium which is a rare metal element. Makes me wonder if it is perhaps acrylic?

The picture on the label could of course just be a picture for the brand not the content of the yarn It could also be a cotton?

The way to see if it is acrylic or a natural fiber is to do a burn test. Take a small piece of the yarn, over a sink set it alight using a match. If it melts and has a plastic type smell, doesn't naturally go out of its own accord then it is acrylic. If it burns but smells like burned hair and the fire goes out naturally, with the ends curling then it is a natural animal hair fiber.

Worth looking on the net for a detailed description of how each fiber reacts under a burn test and give it a go Takes only a minute or two

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
five_six
Turning the Heel

well joe, didn't you start a google frenzy - i've been looking for the past hour, and can't find a decent mandarin translator - go figure. How is that possible.

I think i might just learn Mandarin instead, then i will know what ''diu" means... let me get back to you in, say, 10 years!!!

Bah!! I'm supposed to be knitting!!

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

My first thought was that it looks like a possum. NZ possum (not the same animal the one we see in the US) makes a super soft yarn.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
madametj
Working the Gusset

it looks like a ferret to me

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote