Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
Going through stash
I was donated a laundry hamper of vintage yarn. MOST went to the Girl scouts, as I KNOW I won't use this vinage stuff.

BUT....I've been thinking of making a fisherman's type cardigan sweater...and whoohoooo...there was enough in there for a sweater...

it's 95 wool, and 5 acrylic....it's musty smelling.....soo...can I just go ahead and knit with it and THEN clean it? or should I clean it first? And with all that real wool in it...what's the best way?

The band says size 6 needles, so it's really not a very heavy weight yarn if that matters. i have about 8 or so skeins.

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!

Would you *really* want to spend the time knitting a sweater smelling musty yarn the whole time??? I'd wash it first for sure!

It'll take some doing...you'll have to undo all the balls into hanks for the washing process, let them dry, and then rewind them into balls.

For washing, just use "luke" water, neither hot nor cold, a good gentle soap or wool wash, and gently squeeze water/suds through the yarn. You can let it soak a bit too to try to eliminate the smell. Rinse several times in same temp water, squeeze in towels several times to remove excess water and hang on plastic hanger to dry away from sun.

Good Luck!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote