Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Cattrah
Ribbing the Cuff

Anyone want to participate in a yarn swap box? CLOSED!
Thanks to those who signed up, you will be hearing from me via email once the box has been shipped, barring any problems, should be tomorrow afternoon. yay yarn swap!!

"Official" list of participants:

Cattrah
*KnitPixie*
wildforyarn
l.j.c.
snowbear
Brendajos
yarnmommy

I dunno if this has ever been done in this community but I also collect My Little Ponies and this type of exchange is a frequent occurance.

Basically how it works is a group of people sign up and one person, usually the host will pack a box with say 10 or so items of varying value, in this case it would be yarn. The box is then shipped to the first person in the list. They take whatever they want from the box but must replace the items they took with other items totalling about the same value. That person then ships to the next person in the list they take/replace what they want then ship to the next person and the exchange continues until the last person in the list ships the box back to the host and hopefully everyone along the way has given something interesting and picked up something fun as well.

So whatcha think? Anyone interested?
Cattrah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

swapping yarn
This sounds interesting but I think that you should post this in the general knitting topic on the forum. It might yeild more responses

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
I would definitely do this!

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

me too

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,

Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
jolenel
Ribbing the Cuff

I would participate too!

On the needles:
Boulder belt from Knitty (in Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy)
Vogue Knitting Holiday 2006 Twinset (pattern #14 / in Knitpicks Shine Sport / for mom - tank top complete)
Arasaig (from Knitty / in Jaeger Matchmaker 4 ply / for college best friend)
Aran Knit Sampler Afghan (from Lion Brand / in Knitpicks Andean Silk, slate / for meeee!)
...and as always, small projects on the side
jolenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
Me too Me too ~~~!!!!!! please add me!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #7
Cattrah
Ribbing the Cuff

Well that makes at least 5 of us, I think that'll work out just nicely. I'll keep sign ups open til Monday and then I'll ship out the box on Tuesday.

The "official" rules of the game:
1. You can take as much stuff from the box as you want but you MUST replace the items with others of equal value. For example you can take two balls of a medium priced yarn and replace it with 1 ball of more expensive designer yarn, or likewise take a nice yarn and replace it with more of a cheaper yarn but for the sake of the interest of the box lets keep super cheap yarn (like el cheapo red heart no dye lot acrylic super saver) out of the box okay?
2. You must ship the box priority with delivery confirmation. Shipping costs are the responsibility of the person shipping. I will not pay for shipping except when I send it to the first person.
3. The box must be shipped within 3 working mail days of receiving the box. So if you receive the box on monday you must have it shipped to the next person on/by thursday. if you recieve it friday it must be shipped on/by tuesday
4. All yarn must have original labels or equivalent information attached to them containing at least content type. This just makes it easier for the unexperienced with yarn types to make a better guess at value, or if possible attach the estimated/actual value of the yarn to it.
5. If the condition of the box itself is unsuitable you must replace the box. Priority boxes are free from the post office.
6. You may include other things in the box like notions, small projects, patterns, etc but they are not required to be replaced if taken.

Additional instructions will be posted in the box concerning who you are shipping to, where it came from, etc.

If you agree to the rules you may participate by sending the following information to me. You will not be included in the swap if you do not provide all valid information. This is very important to the success of the box.

Please email me at cattrah(at)gmail(dot)com the following information:

your forum name, real name and address, valid email address, and valid phone number (to make sure the box keeps moving!)

Please if you think that you may be too busy when the box comes around, don't participate. It's not fun to wait on one person for months to get around to shipping the box.

When this works it's really fun and exciting. I hope that all of you will enjoy it and perhaps there will be many more in the future!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

I sent you the info please let me know if you get it. Hey maybe you should keep a list of participants in this topic and keep updating it until monday for all to see Just a thought thanks for putting this together by the way

Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
five_six
Turning the Heel

would love to participate - but unfortunately, the poor person after me would be waiting a month to get their box

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
Cattrah
Ribbing the Cuff

I has come to my attention that it is possible that yarn may be coming from homes with smokers or pets, while most yarns can be washed, I just want all participants to be aware if you have allergies.

Also, can those who have already emailed me send me their Forum name as well.