Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
sberb
Ribbing the Cuff

double knit-in join
i'm knitting striped mittens on dpns and i'm using amy's dbl knit-in join to add the 2nd and 3rd colors. the question i have is this: the video shows how to join a new skein but how do you join a color that you've already used? for example, i start with pink and join in a new skein of white. third round is red. now to join in the white again do i have cut it and weave in the ends?

sorry if my description isn't clear!

thanks for any help!

sara
sberb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hi Sara,

I wouldn't ... depending on how many rows of each color you're doing...

No need to make more finishing work for yourself...

If you're switching colors every 2 or 3 rows, just carry the colors up & start using a new one when you need to. Be sure to occasionally "catch" the colors you're carrying (by twisting the one you're carrying around the one you're working with) so there aren't big loopy carrys on the back that the wearer would snag a finger in.

HTH

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
sberb
Ribbing the Cuff

carry the yarn?
thanks for your help!

i guess i don't know what you mean by "carry" the yarn. i'm doing a mitten that changes color every 2 rounds (1st rnd knit, 2nd rnd k1p1). i did the first mitten knowing it wouldn't turn out too great...and i was right. the join where the colors change was really sloppy. i really liked the seamless appearance of the dbl knit-in, but i just about pulled my hair out trying to figure a way to use it in this way. i got it to wor, but it left my yarn a gigantic mess. but i digress...

when you carry the yarn do you literally hang on to it while you continue to use the other colors? i tried just picking up the new color when i needed it but it just didn't look right. any other suggestions?

sara
Old 01-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

OK,

Quote:
do you literally hang on to it while you continue to use the other colors?
GOSH NO! That would be stranding (used when knitting a fair isle pattern). This is just *not* cutting/breaking the yarn after each use and allowing it to remain at the point you left off using it, but twisting it around the one you're working with every 2 rows or so. If you're using 3 colors, you could alternate the twisting business every other row.

So.......if you're using red, white & pink.....each having 2 rows

R
R
W(Twist red around white at start of round)
W
P (Twist red around pink at start of round)
P (Twist white around pink at start of round)
R (Twist pink around red at start of round)
R (Twist white around red at start of round)
W (Twist pink around white at start of round)
W (Twist red around white at start of round)
P (Twist white around pink at start of round)
P (Twist red around pink at start of round)
R (Twist white around red at start of round)
R (Twist pink around red at start of round)
W
W and so forth...

This will prevent large loops from forming in between where you're using each color.

Quote:
i tried just picking up the new color when i needed it but it just didn't look right
Try this: I'm pretty sure someone here probably put me on to this, so I'm just passing it on. It's a way to avoid the "step up" when knitting stripes in the round.

HTH

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
sberb
Ribbing the Cuff

i think i get it! thanks diane! can't wait to try it!

this site is such a great resource - eventually i hope i can start answering questions, too!