Old 01-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
BDKitty
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to BDKitty Send a message via MSN to BDKitty Send a message via Yahoo to BDKitty
Reply for Purlwise
How long have you been knitting? I have only just rediscovered the art my grandmother taugh me when I was 13. I am still a novice - but am getting braver!

Do you go to any local shops and hang there?
BDKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
froggieladi
Casting On

I learned to knit in high school - I'm sad to say about 34 years ago. I hadn't knit in a while - but with a grandchild on the way, I have picked it back up. I find it really relaxing.

In answer to the question about the local shops. I live in a pretty rural area and don't really know of any shops around here. I would like to get together with my sister and another friend now and then - but we just never seem to find the time.
froggieladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
BDKitty
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to BDKitty Send a message via MSN to BDKitty Send a message via Yahoo to BDKitty
I looked online and from the knitdenise.com web page found 2 cool knit shops around me. Acually 1 extremely cool shop that is in Ellicott City. I cant wait to attend a Knit Night!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
purlwise
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow I taught myself to knit and crochet from old Sears instruction books that my Mom had laying around, oh about 25 or more years ago. I think I am probably an intermediate knitter, maybe an advanced crocheter. I like them both equally as well. I'm still a novice though with a lot of the knitting techniques, I've never had anyone around to teach me so I slowly figure stuff out on my own!

No I haven't been to any of the knitting shops around town. I think there is one in Columbia also, can't think of the name right now.
purlwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I grew up in Baltimore, but live in IL now. I don't get back too muich to visit, maybe twice a year--and now that my mom lives in WVA, maybe that will be less often

If you guys get a chance to get together, check out the LYS in Fells Point, on AliceAnna street... it's FABULOUS, and Lorraine, the owner, is hilariously funny. (i can't remember the name of it though!!)
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
BDKitty
Casting On

Really
I didn't know there was a place in Fells Point. I shall have to check it out.
The place in Columbia is called All about yarn. It was okay - not a very friendly place.

However, the Celtic Knot in Ellicot City (just moved to route 40) is nice and filled with funny people who know how to laugh at your mistakes without hurting your feelings!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
The Yarn Garden in Annapolis isn't bad, but it's not great. I haven't been to any of the other yarn shops in MD because I learned to knit when I started college and I'm not home enough. I might not even be home at all this summer. I keep meaning to go to the one Hildie's talking about but I never remember.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
purlwise
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks I LOVE Fells Point! Haven't been down in ages, and I only live about 15 minutes away!
purlwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
BDKitty
Casting On

Okay, so maybe I hit the "All About Yarn" on a bad day when I first visited. I was there yesterday - my daughter had underestimated her yarn requirements for a baby blanket and that is where we purchased the yarn - and they were nice when we came in and I watched someone come in and get a hand on knitting a sock.

Kids and I hung out a little to watch and see the sock progress. And I found the yarn for the blankie...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
smoochie
Casting On

Fells Point
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post
I grew up in Baltimore, but live in IL now. I don't get back too muich to visit, maybe twice a year--and now that my mom lives in WVA, maybe that will be less often

If you guys get a chance to get together, check out the LYS in Fells Point, on AliceAnna street... it's FABULOUS, and Lorraine, the owner, is hilariously funny. (i can't remember the name of it though!!)
The shop in Fells Point is called "A Good Yarn". It has beautiful yarn and several groups meeting there. Check it out on the internet.
smoochie is offline   Reply With Quote