Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 PM   #51
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Yay!!! I'm going to the Market too!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #52
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
I'm hoping to go on that Saturday.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #53
GMantownMom
Casting On

Germantown, MD
Hello All, I am in Germantown, MD. That is about 30 minutes outside of Washington, DC. I am a new knitter...I mean really new. I haven't the slightest idea how to read a pattern, what needles to buy, what yarn to use. NADA! So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I found a Knitting Salon very close to me, so I was thinking about dropping by. I am a bit apprehensive since I really don't know what I am doing.
GMantownMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #54
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by GMantownMom View Post
Hello All, I am in Germantown, MD. That is about 30 minutes outside of Washington, DC. I am a new knitter...I mean really new. I haven't the slightest idea how to read a pattern, what needles to buy, what yarn to use. NADA! So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I found a Knitting Salon very close to me, so I was thinking about dropping by. I am a bit apprehensive since I really don't know what I am doing.

GMantownMom you have come to the right place. I'm fairly new and have learned how to knit from the net and the great people here. I work in Gaithersburg and live in PA and would be interested in which knitting salon you have found. Check they probably have classes in knitting, and realize that the more you know the more you will knit and the more they can sell.

Check out the videos and ask the answers will come.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #55
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

hi GMantownMom! we can help!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #56
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow, I just found this place! I'm in northern Carroll County - Taneytown, which is also just a bit south of Gettysburg. I've been a knitter since the middle 60's (learned in the 4th grade) and every once in a while get going again. Right now I'm making scarves for Christmas (via my church - we're making gifts for a shelter in Baltimore).
Anyway - I'm happy to have found this forum. And thanks for the tip on The Mannings - I never heard of that, and I am SO there this weekend, if I can drag my husband up that way...

CHJ
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #57
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
chj - I know Taneytown well, my sister live on west Baltimore (main) street for quite a few years before moving to Illinois. In addition to Mannings there is the Knitting Cottage between Waynesboro and Hagerstown on South Potomac Street aka MD Rt 60. Y2K in Funkstown near the Outlet Mall and Keep Me in Stitches on West Patrick Street in Frederick. There are a couple of other LYS in Frederick but I went ot school (FCC) with the owner of Keep Me In Stitches so when in Frederick thats where I go.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
chj (11-13-2008)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #58
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Chris - thanks for the tip! I tend to do a lot of yarn-shopping at Michael's and Joann Fabrics (OK yarn, good prices), and I haven't made anything "serious" in a while. I started poking around the web to find places to get good yarn, because I want to make a special scarf for a friend this Christmas, and want to find something really nice. I have been at Woolstock in Glyndon in the past, which is pretty good too. I'll have to check out some of those places you mentioned.

I am SO into knitting right now that I am neglecting other things! I mentioned that my church is knitting scarves for a shelter this Christmas, and I am going to be teaching some new knitters starting next week.

Anyway, thanks again!
CHJ
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #59
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Hi guys,
I just joined a "real" group of knitters who meet at the Borders in Annapolis (mall) on the second monday and last wednesday of the month. Here is the ravelry group.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #60
sassybunny
Casting On

Hi everyone! I'm living in Baltimore/Towson. I was super excited to see so many folks who knit locally!
sassybunny is offline   Reply With Quote