Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
zip

Gap in a wool soaker
forum noob here.

So, lemme show ya something. I knitted a pair of wool soakers for my beloved's grandson. The baby's daddy will be here Thursday night and I plan to send them home (about 1000 miles away) with him. I'm not happy with the top of the leg openings. While I don't believe they'll unravel, I don't want them to look cheap. Does anyone have any idea how I could tighten up that section? Google doesn't like my phrasing. We're having a communication gap about as wide as that pictured below.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

well, the tedious way would be to tighten up the stitches around it just by using your needle and tugging them tight along the row until you have the desired result...

having said that - They don't look cheap at all, they look great, and I don't think anyone will notice that too much. You are too hard on yourself (but i'm exactly the same so i understand)

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Bee-YOO-tee-ful soakers, my dear sister!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Lilsea
Ribbing the Cuff

That is wonderful!!! One of my bestest friends is knit soaker superwoman!!

I tried a pair similar to the ones you made, and the only suggestion I can make is do a row or two of single crochet. When I make ponchos, that's what I do around the neck opening to prevent it from stretching.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

Personally, I would add a simple flat-edge trim by picking up stitches all around the leg openings -- as many as I could, so it's still very stretchy -- then binding them off.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
zip

Oh, thanks so much everyone!

Julie, I did pick up 52 stitches around one of the openings and added 8 rows of 2x2 ribbing with a sewn-in binding. It made the gap more noticeable. :( So I ripped it out... I wonder if picking up 48 that skipped the top of the opening would allow me to tighten it up. hmmmmm. What do you think?

Lilsea, I can do one row of stand-alone single crochet. Beyond that, I'm crochetarded.

five_six, I shall visit my favorite LYS at lunch today and see if the resident expert can hold my hand with that tweaking. I'm also looking for a sock monkey to stitch upon the front to match the baby's sock monkey slippers. Also, I'm adding a little duplicate stitch lettering to the seat, then lanolizing it.

gonna run outta time.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
zip

resized my photos. sorry.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
five_six
Turning the Heel

hope it goes well for you

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by zip
resized my photos. sorry.
No problemo, sis. Now, the page loads a lot quicker!

How is life out in beautiful California?
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
zip

Originally Posted by Shandeh
No problemo, sis. Now, the page loads a lot quicker!

How is life out in beautiful California?
Beautiful, of course.

except that I've never stitched anything onto a knitted item. Maybe it's a bad idea for me to attach the Tigger applique patch to the front?