Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
FearTheSpork
Ribbing the Cuff

OT: Musical theatre
Well, I was wondering if anyone likes musical theatre? I, for one, love it-Les Miserables is my favorite musical as of now (yes, I know; horribly mainstream, but it's amazing nonetheless), as well as The Last Five Years, even though I don't know about that one very well. My favorite Broadway stars are Michael Crawford (the man is AMAZING. Flawless. Perfection) and Kristin Chenoweth (ditto).

My Knitter's Geek Code:
KCm+ Exp+ SPM AddiT Lux Stash+ Scale Fin Ent FI+ Tex+ Lace Flat DPN KIP FO6 WIP2 GaugeW Cr X Em
FearTheSpork is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

I LOVE musicals. My DH just took me to see Irving Berlin's White Christmas in Detroit for Christmas.

I saw a ton when I was growing up and some of my all time favorites are Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, and Singing in the Rain

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Lieke
Working the Gusset

I love musicals, but unfortunately most of them are to expensive for a student. I've seen miss saigon, the lion king and some smaller musicals like tsjechov and fame and I loved every one of them (although I liked the lion king best)

Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I love musicals, I've seen so many I don't think I could pick a favorite (Les Mes, Phantom, Damn Yankees...I love them all)!! Being orginally from CT (and not far from NYC) my mom and I used to go on Wednesdays to get 1/2 price tickets in Times Square for musicals. I've seen dozens of shows this way, its such a great deal if you want to go to Broadway but are on a budget.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Chrissie
Knitting the Flap

I haven't seen anything in years but I used to go to shows with my Mom a lot when I was in HS and college. I've seen Les Miserables, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Sunset Boulevard, The Secret Garden, and Beauty and The Beast. I'm trying to convince my DH that we should go see the Lion King when it comes to town this summer.

ETA: I forgot about Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat! With Donny Osmond! How could I forget?
Tuscany from NSFY in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool - it's working up beautifully.
Montego Bay Scarf from Summer 07 IK Knits in Sea Silk - an indulgent knit
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

My brother's a music major, but last year (his senior year of high school), he had the lead role in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and I got to be the accompanist! That was loads of fun. Fiddler on the Roof and Pirates of Penzance (does that count as musical theater?) are two of my favorites.

Oh, and my mom taught Kristen Chenowyth when she was in middle school!

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I'm not too keen on musicals, although I do love just about everything by Stephen Sondheim. I love the works of Gilbert and Sullivan, which I know are operettas and therefore not technically musicals but they are wonderful and very accessable. And I love.........opera. Does this make me a music snob? I hope not.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
I'm a musicals snob - Sondheim rules, Lloyd Webber makes me cringe. (My mother is the same.) I've seen three productions of Sweeney Todd (original B'way, revival with Bob Gunton, can't remember when exactly that was, latest revival with Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris), just saw the revival of Company on B'way in November, two NY revivals of Pacific Overtures (1985 or so and last year), the original B'way Sunday in the Park in 1984 (twice) and one revival here in Chicago, Passions in NY and Bounce in Chicago (didn't like either... has Stephen lost his touch?)... that might be it, I'm spacing at the moment...ETA: A Little Night Music, productions at my college and at City Opera! I did, I admit it, enjoy Cats when I saw it on B'way in 1982, but I can't bear it now...

I guess I've seen a lot of other musicals, some fabulous (Nathan Lane in Guys and Dolls and A Funny Thing Happened... oops, that counts as Sondheim too...), some forgettable (the amazing Mandy Patinkin in The Secret Garden, Nathan Lane in a concert version of something I can't even remember the name of...), one of my all-time favorites, 1776 (National Tour in 1971 or so, revival on B'way in the late 1990s), A Chorus Line (late late late in the original run), a revival of My Fair Lady in the mid-1970s (Ian Richardson as Higgins), Ain't Misbehavin' (original B'way and a production in Toronto), the original original Annie (pry those songs out of my brain with a crowbar...), La Cage Aux Folles (eh... not good)... and I do adore Gilbert & Sullivan, including the Linda Ronstadt-Kevin Kline Pirates - first place I ever saw Kline, back in the late 1970s was it?

Er... OK, enough of that. Suffice to say, yes, I like musicals...!

ETA: OMG, I just remembered I saw a production of Forum in Scotland in the early 1970s with Phil Silvers as Pseudolus, when I was a kid!

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by Kirochka
some forgettable (the amazing Mandy Patinkin in The Secret Garden,
Was that the one that was on Broadway around *thinks* 12 years ago?

My dad and his then-girlfriend took me to see it, because I loved the book.

I, er. Fell asleep.

I LOVE Les Mis so much that I'm attempting to slog through the book. I also LOVE the soundtracks to Rent and Songs for a New World, though I've never seen them. Tommy was good, and I think that about sums up the musicals I've seen. Oh, wait, saw "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" with Matthew Broderick, but I was 10 and remember nothing.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
RachelJean
Knitting the Flap

I love musicals, and since I live just an hour north of NYC, I've been to many shows. One I remember really well was in the 70's, my dad took us to see Two by Two, starting Danny Kaye. Kaye had a broken leg, but since he didn't use understudies, he performed anyway. When I looked it up on the internet, it said he used a wheelchair, but I remember him dancing on stage in his cast. It must have been a pretty good show if I remember that far back!

We really want to go see Wicked this year, but getting tickets is ridiculously difficult ...
RachelJean is offline   Reply With Quote