Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
kellieanita
Casting On

easy scarf pattern for a beginner?
hi...i just learned how to knit and need some more help. I have some yarn that is 100% acrylic and circular needles that are size 8 (i think). I would like to make a scarf using only one color of yarn. I tried doing one knit row then one purl row and so on, but the edges curled in and it looked terrible. I then tried casting on 22 stitches and knit 2 purl 2 etc. so that i began and ended on a knit, but i kept messing up. Any other suggestions? I just want a simple, pretty scarf pattern that I can't mess up! Thanks in advance,
kellieanita is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
how long are your needles from tip to tip? you could do a scarf in the round (it is really is and the video on her is perfect for learning!) if they are short enough. then you would have it in stockinette!

or you could do the knit one row purl one row but make a 3-5 stitch border in garter stitch or seed stitch.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
ScandaKnitvian
Ribbing the Cuff

You were knitting your scarf in stockinette stitch...1 knit row, 1 purl row, and that always curls unless you do a border...such as garter stitch or seed stitch.

You could do a scarf of just garter stitch...very easy...knit every row. It will not curl. You could also do seed stitch...K 1, P1 across the row, then turn and purl the knit stitches and knit the purls. You will have alternating "bumps" like a checkerboard. That won't curl either but will take a bit longer because you'll have to move your yarn backward and forward between each stitch.

I'd try the garter stitch...just knit every row, no purling.

Happy Knitting!

Patty
ScandaKnitvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
kellieanita
Casting On

thanks
Thanks for the help so far. I like the idea of knit 1 row then purl 1 row and add a border, but I don't know how to do that. I will look into that. Thanks again.
kellieanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well it depends on how wide you want it to be. you can cast on, for example 25 stitches. then you would knit the first five and last five of every row doing the stockinette stitch inbetween. oh and you would probably want to do something like 3-5 rows of garter stitch at the beginning and end of the scarf to make it look even.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
cara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to cara
Re: thanks
You could also Try the Scrunchable Scarf pattern. It is simply K2 P1 all the way across every row. You cast on in Multiples of 3.

It turns out really nice looking.

You can Make it have a fancier boarder by casting on an extra 2 stitches to your chosen Multiple of 3 and slipping the first stitch of Every Row Purl Wise and then Knitting the last stitch of Every Row.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I would create the border as you knit rather than add it later. You could do it like this or some variation:

CO 28

Row 1 k across all stitches
Row 2 k across
Row 3 k across
Row 4 k4, p20, k4
Row 5 k across all stitches

Alternate rows 4 and 5 till it's as long as you want then k the last 3 rows.

This is just an idea and would help keep it from curling if you want stockinette.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
CounselorScarf
Casting On

kellieanita,

I too am very much a beginner. I completed 3 scarves as christmas gifts all in garter stitch and they were wonderful!!

thoughts on all garter stitch:
You can buy some yarns that look beautiful just simply garter stitched. I used patons tweed series of yards with 10 needles and just knit away as I took the bus to downtown each morning and it was hugely successful. I really like garter stitch. Wish I pictures of the 3 scarves that were so awesome.

Mistake rib?
Right now I'm working on a "mistake rib" scarf which is a knit two purl two pattern and there nothing to keep track of. Cast on 19 stitches. K2 and P2 until you get to the end, there will be 3 - knit those 3. Repeat. Makes a fun ribbing but it will indeed curl on you.

garter stitch edge:
I've figured out that you can give any scarf (I think?) a garter stitch edge if what ever you do to begin the scarf is exactly how you end it too.

So say you want stockinette stitch of say 20 stitches. You can cast on 26 and then always do the first 3 and last 3 as knit stitches. Or cast on 28 and have the first 4 and last 4 be knit stitches. You can use any number so long as what ever you do to start you work is what you do at the end. Maybe someone who is a more seasoned knitter can confirm this?

A stockinette scarf pattern:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...el172064&site=
^ hope that works.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...id=channel1508
^ click on basic scarf at bottom. I've thought about trying this scarf. It looks like you're essentially making blocks around stockinette to avoid the curling, and so I think this would be a great way to make a very easy stockinette (mostly scarf).

Good luck! I hope you'll post back again because it is so nice to hear from another absolute beginner. At this point I can purl and knit but I've never yarned over and I have not a clue about inc and dec.

Melody
CounselorScarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
lucy
Casting On

I'm currently knitting a scarf in the twin-rib pattern (there is a picture here: http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/reversible.shtml). It is 2 rows repeated:
multiple of 6 stitches:
row 1 - *k3, p3, repeat from *
row 2 - *k1, p1, repeat from *

I'm using Bernat Satin yarn (acrylic) and I think size 8 needles. Anyway, it is turning out nicely and an easy pattern to memorize!
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
ladygodiva
Casting On

easy scarf pattern
I am a new knitter as well and I just recently did a scarf using a 3x3 rib pattern and that turned out well, but the scarf that I am most proud of is one that uses double knitting, giving you that V pattern on both sides and hollow in the middle.

The pattern that I used was one of those free patterns that are in the yarn section.

Here it is:
I used 4ply worsted weight yarn, using size US 13 (9.0mm) needles.

Cast on 44 sts.

Row 1: *K1, yarn forward, sl next st. from left needle to right needle as if to purl, yarn back; rep from * across.

Row 2: Rep row 1 (make sure to knit the stich that was slipped and slip the stitch that was knit on the previous row). Work to desired length.

Special bind off: *K2, pass right st over left st, K2tog, pass right st over left st; rep from * across. Weave in ends.

This scarf only took a day to make (that's after only one rip out) and found it very easy once I got used to slipping the stitches purl wise to the right needle.

Blessed Be.
ladygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote