Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Seams are never neat
Anyone else have trouble making seams look nice and even? Mine are always lumpy, or uneven. I have never been able to seam objects as nice as Amy does on her video. I can make nice little sweaters for my granddaughter but getting those sleeves on are hard and they always look bunched up.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

This is why I like circular sweaters. Neck-down patterns are great for doing cardigans without seams. I don't like seaming, as it's so fiddly and I never feel like I'm doing as good a job as I could be doing even if it really looks just fine.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
snowangel
Ribbing the Cuff

I made my first sweater the other day (a baby sweater) and I had the same trouble. I did okay with the side seams but when I went to seam the sleeve on the body I was soooo frustrated!

I am currently working on a sweater where I don't have to seam anything and I think I will search out these type of patterns in the future. I haven't watched Amy's video yet though, maybe that would help me.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

What kind of sleeves are doing? There's a nifty way to do "set-in" sleeves that involves picking up stitches from the armhole, doing short rows for the sleeve cap, and working down (in the round if you wish) toward the cuff. No seaming involved. I don't know of a good online tutorial, but Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top explains it very well. (The whole book is about making seamless sweaters!)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
JLC
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
What kind of sleeves are doing? There's a nifty way to do "set-in" sleeves that involves picking up stitches from the armhole, doing short rows for the sleeve cap, and working down (in the round if you wish) toward the cuff. No seaming involved. I don't know of a good online tutorial, but Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top explains it very well. (The whole book is about making seamless sweaters!)
Hey, thanks! I just went to Amazon.com and bought this book. Talk about impulse buying. I read the reviews and it sounded like something I need (even though I really don't have any sweaters planned for the near future).
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Re: Seams are never neat
Originally Posted by Jackie M.
I can make nice little sweaters for my granddaughter but getting those sleeves on are hard and they always look bunched up.
Aha! I have good advice here. The first cheat-rule of being a seamstress (and works great for knitting too) is to set the sleeves in BEFORE seaming the sides or the sleeve itself. In other words, do your shoulder seam. Then take your flat sleeve piece and seam it into your armhole. THEN do the whole side seam, wrist to hip! Makes everything lie flatter, and is *so* much easier to work with. Hope that helps!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

If you're not already doing it, start at the top of the sleeve and work the seam down to the edge and then sew the other half from the middle down. You can fudge it a little better and you shouldn't get the bunchies. Works better than going from the side seam all the way around to the other side seam.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

I'm also having a difficult time seaming baby sweaters, and I haven't learned to do circular knitting. The mattress stitch on the side seams is understandable and turns out pretty well, but what stitch do you use to sew the shoulder seams and for setting in the sleeves? I couldn't find that info anywhere I looked and finally used backstitch for the sleeves. It seems so bulky. Can someone help???
PamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by PamJ
I'm also having a difficult time seaming baby sweaters, and I haven't learned to do circular knitting. The mattress stitch on the side seams is understandable and turns out pretty well, but what stitch do you use to sew the shoulder seams and for setting in the sleeves? I couldn't find that info anywhere I looked and finally used backstitch for the sleeves. It seems so bulky. Can someone help???
When I made my grandson's sweaters, they were the first sweaters I ever did and I did the shoulders using a 3 needle bind off and they looked great and laid flat. I just went back in, took out the bound off stitches for the neck and did the 3 needles bind off.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
I highly recommend Nancy Wiseman's Finishing Technique book to anyone who has issues with this stuff.

With set in sleeves, I always pin everything out, run my yarn through, and then take the pins out and tighten everything evenly. Set in sleeves are so much work.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote