Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Claire06
Ribbing the Cuff

DPNs and Circulars
Hi,

I've been knitting for about 9 months now on straight needles, but find the patterns I want to knit increasingly use DPNs or circular needles. I don't have the money to buy a full set of either, so I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the best sizes to buy, given that I do mainly baby knitting.

Thanks!
Claire06 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
it is hard to say but have you looked at the circular sets? the cost is actually pretty minimal considering how many needles you are actually getting. it seems like a lot in one shot but when i consider how much i spent on individual needles before switcing to an interchangable set, i could have bought 5 sets i would think.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
If you need to you can find the patterns you are most interested in knitting and see what sizes are recommened. Start with those and add to them later or buy the set next time around.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
And if you go with the ones sold at Joann's or Michaels, you can use the 40% off coupons on them. I think Joann's is having a 50% off sale all this week. Ebay is anoter resource for needle sets, and the swap forums here and on other boards.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
it is hard to say but have you looked at the circular sets? the cost is actually pretty minimal considering how many needles you are actually getting. it seems like a lot in one shot but when i consider how much i spent on individual needles before switcing to an interchangable set, i could have bought 5 sets i would think.
If you go with Knitpicks Options (a well-regarded interchangeable system), you can purchase just the components you want instead of buying the whole set. That way, you can get the needle sizes and cable lengths you use most, and if you want add more needle tips later, you can use them with the cables you already have. (If you want to check them out, you'll see links to Options in the banners ads above -- refresh 'til you get to one.)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
VickyS456
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to VickyS456
If you use code JANA750 at Joann, it takes 50% off one item. I have the Boye set in my cart for $35.00 HTH

exp 1/31/07
VickyS456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
be careful on that pricing. the last time i looked at Joann's Needlemaster price the "regular" price they listed was $99. They will only take those percentages off "regular" pricing, not off sale prices.

(I haven't looked lately so they may have lowered it finally!)

ETA: you can definitely find them on Ebay at the $35 range though...that's where i got both my sets that i had, at that price!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

Get DPNS
I think you would be better off with DPNS I knit for babies alot for baby showers and charity and I mainly use them when doing baby knitting. Size 5 is one of the pairs I use the most

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
VickyS456
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to VickyS456
Originally Posted by brendajos
be careful on that pricing. the last time i looked at Joann's Needlemaster price the "regular" price they listed was $99. They will only take those percentages off "regular" pricing, not off sale prices.

(I haven't looked lately so they may have lowered it finally!)

ETA: you can definitely find them on Ebay at the $35 range though...that's where i got both my sets that i had, at that price!
Yes. They lowered the regular price to $69.xx. They're on sale for $48.xx, and with the coupon it's $35 (70/2=35). and of course there is 6% back from eBates.
VickyS456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
50% off, eh? :thinking:

Maybe I should get a swift this month...

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote