Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
five_six
Turning the Heel

Provisional Cast On
OK, all... i'm trying to make these in the toddler size, however, lets call it lack of sleep, i seem stumped.

This is the first time I have done a provisional cast on, and I'm using the KNoon method, of crocheting onto the needle. My first question is, once i've made the provisional cast on and start knitting with my actual yarn, is there any preferred method for attaching said yarn, rather than starting to just knit (which as you all can guess, leads to a very loose first stitch)?

Secondly - and this is what has me really bamboozled, i just can't seem to get the logic in my head... I've knit up to row 5, but my head keeps telling me i can't be doing it right.

Toe
Using Provisional Cast On, CO 15 sts.

Row 1 [RS]: K14, w&t.
Row 2 [WS]: P13, w&t.
Row 3 [RS]: K12, w&t.
Row 4 [WS]: P11, w&t.
Row 5 [RS]: K10, w&t.
Row 6 [WS]: P9, w&t.
Row 7 [RS]: K8, w&t.
Row 8 [WS]: P7, w&t.

K. The first line says to Knit 14 of the 15 stitches, then to wrap and turn. Wouldn't this result in me wrapping the outside of the work? I've always been told that a wrap and turn involves slipping the next stitch onto the right needle, wrapping, then placing it back onto the left needle, turn and work. I just can't seem to acccept that it would mean the outside of the piece is wrapped. Is this right?

I'm also not counting the first row i knit as the first row, i'm kinda counting it as the cast on which has been knitted off the provisional, cause if i count this as the first row, it would have me wrapping the alternately coloured crocheted row i placed on my needles. This is the first time i have really been stumped. I would just keep going, but i wanted to check my 'reference book' (you!) before i kept going.

I hope that i'm making sense here

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Since no one has addressed your questions yet, I'm going to take a stab...

When you talk about a loose first stitch, are you referring to the provisional c/o being loose, making it difficult to knit into? If so, one thing you could try is to c/o on extra stitches with your waste yarn, and start your knitting a few stitches in where it's not so loose. The waste yarn is going to come off eventually, so it doesn't matter if you've got extra stitches in it. That goes for both ends of the c/o row. If your problem is just with the first stitch you knit being loose, maybe you could try making a slip knot in your working yarn and anchoring it to the needle before knitting the first stitch.

As for your 2nd question, I think they might want the wrap to be located right after the 14th stitch (not counting the slipped stitch as part of the W&T step, but making the 14th stitch your slipped stitch). I know that not everyone does short rows the same way so it's conceivable that the designer is used to doing it in some way that doesn't require slipping. Who knows. They may also assume you're adding a selvage in which case the wrap wouldn't end up on the outside edge.

And for the last question... there are a lot of provisional c/o methods where your first row would be knitted into the regular yarn rather than waste yarn so they may be assuming that you're doing one of those. (Actually, all of the other methods for provisional c/o that come to mind right now are like that.) I think it makes sense to purl a plain row before knitting your first short row.

HTH

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote