Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
five_six
Turning the Heel

Provisional Cast On
OK, all... i'm trying to make these in the toddler size, however, lets call it lack of sleep, i seem stumped.

This is the first time I have done a provisional cast on, and I'm using the KNoon method, of crocheting onto the needle. My first question is, once i've made the provisional cast on and start knitting with my actual yarn, is there any preferred method for attaching said yarn, rather than starting to just knit (which as you all can guess, leads to a very loose first stitch)?

Secondly - and this is what has me really bamboozled, i just can't seem to get the logic in my head... I've knit up to row 5, but my head keeps telling me i can't be doing it right.

Toe
Using Provisional Cast On, CO 15 sts.

Row 1 [RS]: K14, w&t.
Row 2 [WS]: P13, w&t.
Row 3 [RS]: K12, w&t.
Row 4 [WS]: P11, w&t.
Row 5 [RS]: K10, w&t.
Row 6 [WS]: P9, w&t.
Row 7 [RS]: K8, w&t.
Row 8 [WS]: P7, w&t.

K. The first line says to Knit 14 of the 15 stitches, then to wrap and turn. Wouldn't this result in me wrapping the outside of the work? I've always been told that a wrap and turn involves slipping the next stitch onto the right needle, wrapping, then placing it back onto the left needle, turn and work. I just can't seem to acccept that it would mean the outside of the piece is wrapped. Is this right?

I'm also not counting the first row i knit as the first row, i'm kinda counting it as the cast on which has been knitted off the provisional, cause if i count this as the first row, it would have me wrapping the alternately coloured crocheted row i placed on my needles. This is the first time i have really been stumped. I would just keep going, but i wanted to check my 'reference book' (you!) before i kept going.

I hope that i'm making sense here

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #2
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
I'm stumped. Bumping so someone else can take a whack at it.
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
Re: Provisional Cast On
Originally Posted by five_six
My first question is, once i've made the provisional cast on and start knitting with my actual yarn, is there any preferred method for attaching said yarn, rather than starting to just knit (which as you all can guess, leads to a very loose first stitch)?
That's all I do. The yarn can be pulled tighter. It shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
The first line says to Knit 14 of the 15 stitches, then to wrap and turn. Wouldn't this result in me wrapping the outside of the work? I've always been told that a wrap and turn involves slipping the next stitch onto the right needle, wrapping, then placing it back onto the left needle, turn and work. I just can't seem to acccept that it would mean the outside of the piece is wrapped. Is this right?
That's right.

Quote:
I'm also not counting the first row i knit as the first row, i'm kinda counting it as the cast on which has been knitted off the provisional, cause if i count this as the first row, it would have me wrapping the alternately coloured crocheted row i placed on my needles.
Should be ok. When I make toe-up socks I will do one row knit and purl the next row after the provisional cast-on before beginning the w&t section for the toe cup.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote