Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Cotton Ease is back!
I am so excited. I have been looking for an affordable cotton blend. They really aren't that easy to find. Anyway, http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/newcottonease.html is the link. I'm sorry, I couldn't make the stupid code work!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Oh cool! I'll have to check that out. It might be great for summer tanks!

What code couldn't you figure out?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
Re: Cotton Ease is back!
Code:
[url=http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/newcottonease.html]here [/url]
There was no "http:" and your closing url tag had a \ instead of a /.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I haven't tried the Lion Brand's "Cotton Ease" yarn, but I bought some of Bernat's "Denim Style" the other day to use to make a summer hat. I knitted up a gauge swatch and the yarn seems very nice to work with--it feels very soft and cottony, but has some "bounce" in it (from the acrylic I guess?). I'll have to see how it works up, but all in all, I was pretty pleased from my gauge swatch with the results. The yarn seemed to me to be almost better being a cotton blend because it has more give to it than 100% cotton yarn. Denim Style has less cotton than the Cotton Ease's (70% acrylic, 30% cotton for Denim Style and 50% acrylic, 50% cotton for Cotton Ease), but the gauge is almost exact. I'm curious to see how the two compare. Cotton Ease has some pretty colors, too!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I made a sweater from the Denim Style and it was so nice and fluffy to work with. However, when I washed it, a lot of the fluff was lost and the sleeves stretched out about 6 inches!! I'm redoing the whole thing in smaller needles (7mm) and I think it will work out all right.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Sue, so do you recommend using smaller needles then with the Denim Style? I would be devastated if this happened with a garment...I've had problems with a couple of hats that I knitted "growing" on me, but it's not like they took a whole lot of work (they're just fun, goofy hats I knitted out of novelty yarn). Usually I need to go up a needle size to knit to get to gauge, but do you recommend maybe staying at the needle size to combat that stretching problem?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by cookworm
Sue, so do you recommend using smaller needles then with the Denim Style? I would be devastated if this happened with a garment...I've had problems with a couple of hats that I knitted "growing" on me, but it's not like they took a whole lot of work (they're just fun, goofy hats I knitted out of novelty yarn). Usually I need to go up a needle size to knit to get to gauge, but do you recommend maybe staying at the needle size to combat that stretching problem?
I generally use needles larger than what's recommended on everything. I knit at a medium or loose tension, but I just don't like using needles smaller than 10/6mm. I believe most patterns with Denim Style are on size 8/5mm. I used 7.5 mm for most of it and will now go down to 7mm for the whole thing. I think what happened here was the sleeves got caught up on something in the washing machine and got stretched out; the body wasn't so bad.

I'm not devastated about it, I just shrug and say, `oh well' and redo. It's a liitle annoying because I figured I was done with it.

sue

edited for spelling errors
Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I used Denim Style for my first sweater. It's a little too large, but that is because I knit the wrong size. I haven't noticed a huge problem with it stretching myself.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
newamy
Working the Gusset

I noticed the new Cotton Ease and have never seen the new or old in person. Is it nice and soft? Would it be good for a cotton cardigan?

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by newamy
I noticed the new Cotton Ease and have never seen the new or old in person. Is it nice and soft? Would it be good for a cotton cardigan?
It is really nice! A bit heavier than the microspun and way softer than Sugar and Cream or Lion Cotton. It shouldn't be soo heave for a cardigan; I made a `cardi-shrug' with it and it turned out very well.

sue

* cardi-shrug is my invention - it's a sweater that's about waist length or a bit more, with long sleeves, but it's narrow on the fronts so it doesn't quite meet in the middle. I like to wear them open rather than fastened.