Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

MAN OH MAN !!arg!!!! Doin' the Circular Twist!!!!
Geez. what is it. I try and I try and I try to BE REALLY CAREFUL.... cast on to my new beautiful Addi circulars to make this skirt in the round,

check and check again to make sure it's not twisted. (AND CHECK AGAIN) Looks good.
Start knitting. Knit for 3 days, like 16 rows on 178 stitches and then, there it is: IT'S TWISTED!

Why is this so difficult for me?
Ummm, just ripped it. I need a second person checker like a fact checker before I start knitting on it.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

sorry to hear.

I make DH check things sometimes. Like if i count the wrong number after I cast on. "Here, honey. Count how many stitches are on here"

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Arg! I can really empathize with you. I did the same thing this week. I'm making this scarf for my sis-in-law for her upcoming birthday. I completed several rows before I realized it was twisted. Grrrrr...
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you knit a couple of rows flat, it's easier to join without twisting. You'll just have to stitch up the little gap--better than ripping out.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Yes, and I think my pattern even suggested that, but I thought to myself, "I've never had a problem twisting my stitches before, so...." 8) Famous last words!
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Vic,

I've done that too. If I cast on > 40 stitches, I immediately run a contrasting color lifeline in the cast on row, making it easier to spot a twist.

BTW, I have advertised for a Twist Checker, but none of the applicants were really up to snuff.

Landolphe

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I had knit several things in the round without twisting, and wondered why they made such a big deal out of it as I was joining another pattern. Of course, that was the one I twisted, and didn't really notice for at least an inch.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Ingrid
If you knit a couple of rows flat, it's easier to join without twisting. You'll just have to stitch up the little gap--better than ripping out.
What a GREAT idea!!!! I've twisted my stitches too after trying to be really careful, and I HATE that!

Renna, that scarf is ADORABLE!!!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

So i cast on for a pair of socks yesterday and I realized 1/2 way through the first first row that i had twisted. Instead of ripping it out, i just untwisted it by flipping it over one end of my needle. I'm sure i ruined one stitch of my cast on, but I'm doing 2 socks on 2 circs and had just figured out the cast on. I REALLY didn't want to do it over.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

"advertised for a Twist Checker...." That's cute!

Ingrid, what a great idea. Superb really because it's just too frustrating... and the little gap is easily stitched up when you're done.
I think I'll do that now when I cast on again. At least there was one good outcome in the story!!! I"m making that skirt I've always wanted to make from Vogue, and I decided I had to go with Extra Large (178 stitches) because that was for a 29 1/2" waist! ? (Vogue seems kindof whacko sometimes) So when I took it off the needles to rip it, I put it around my waist and it was way too big! ! ? I don't know what they're thinking
but now I know what size to go with anyhow.

Pretty scarf Renna!

Oh, Landolphe, does that really help, having the contrasting yarn in with the cast on? Interesting but I guess I'd have to see it to see it work.
You cast on with a contrasting color? Then pull it out later....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote