Old 02-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #141
GinnyG
Instepping Out

How PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #142
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by zip
Thanks, Jan. He's the bee's knees!

I'd love to see the finished first one. I attempted the i-cord bind off and failed miserably. So I resorted to the three needle bind off, which I believe would've looked better on the outside than on the inside. It's how I plan to finish the next one. Also, I'll include only three buttons next time, or perhaps only one.
I wish I had grandkids or some small kids in the family so I could make stuff for them instead of charity!! Not that I mind knitting for charity mind you, but it would be nice to keep it in the family. It's a good way to learn though.

I will post pix later. I put buttonholes on both sides as the pattern stated so I pretty much have to do all the buttons. I think I would prefer less though, too.

The i-cord bind off isn't as hard as I thought it might be, just time consuming. Didn't the 3 needle bind off leave a stockinette area on the shoulders?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #143
zip

meh. The shoulders look ... fine to anyone but me or another knitter. It didn't leave a stockinette area. I matched the right sides, as all the directions that I could find directed me to do. I think in this particular pattern, the 3-needle would look good seamed with the wrong sides together. I was ready to be done with it and sent to the baby before he outgrew it too much for even a photo op.

Plus, it was my practice model knit in acrylic. I wanted it gone. Z's daughter reports that she's happy with it. I asked her to suggest a color for a larger one in wool. Hopefully, she'll reply. Maybe I oughta invest in the video, as you did.

Thank you, GinnyG!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #144
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Good for you! Every time I try to seam stuff like that it looks awful!

I found the video helpful. I would not have known how to go around corners with the i-cord and stuff like that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #145
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I have the video (DVD) but haven't had time to watch it. My hope is to "knit along" with it.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #146
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Oh! I learned a new trick tonite.. I made the sleeves longer on my second one! Here's how "I" did it if anyone wants to know.

1. With right side facing you pick up 35 stitches through the front loop.
2. Knit as many rows as you want..working a right side row last. Wrong side row will be facing you. Bind off in knit.

I did 14 rows which added about 2 inches, but I don't know if it's really long enough. You could also do some ribbing before finding off. I chose to end there and do an attached i-cord.

BTW..doing it this way leaves it so you really can't tell too easily where you've picked up and added on!

Pix later...

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #147
zip

Jan, you're a genius! I can almost visualize it, but not quite. I shall patiently await your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the color of your 2nd one anyway.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #148
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by zip
Jan, you're a genius! I can almost visualize it, but not quite. I shall patiently await your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the color of your 2nd one anyway.
On the yahoo site they had another member's method, but it wasn't really clear enough...at least to me.

I'm working on the last bit of i-cord edging around the front and back so will get pix when I'm done.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #149
zip

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Originally Posted by zip
On the yahoo site they had another member's method, but it wasn't really clear enough...at least to me.

I'm working on the last bit of i-cord edging around the front and back so will get pix when I'm done.
You've probably already read that EZ didn't want to clutter up the pattern with longer sleeves (I'm certain I read that somewhere.) And I know you've seen that the adult version includes long sleeves. My book also has notes on how to add pockets and sleeves to the baby version and the i-cord trim. Lots of tips are in there, as well as tales of the guru from her children. I really ought to just start at the beginning and read the whole thing, and the other one I bought, too.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:49 AM   #150
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Which book? I just finished reading (cover to cover) Knitting Around and it has the Baby Bog/Adult Bog jacket in it.

Anyway, yes. I did see that she didn't feel the need for longer sleeves, but I feel if it's being worn for warmth then it probably should. There is really no way to add them directly to the pattern for the BSJ is there? I think it requires adding the way I did.

I finished the i-cord trim, but it's not perfect. I'm going to toss it in the wash and see if it helps the wonkiness. Maybe I'm just too picky. I didn't add the i-cord button loops as I couldn't quite make sense of them so I'll have to figure out another way.. :thinking:

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~