Old 01-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #51
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm halfway through... Um..row 50 maybe?

I started out using markers for those decreases. Then as I got further along I found that I could pretty much look at the stitches and see where to decrease. I DID count to make sure though. The stitch markers never seemed to be in the right place though.

At the point I am at now which is increasing I DO have markers. I doubt you can do this w/o them, but we'll see.

Photo later..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #52
zip

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
I'm halfway through... Um..row 50 maybe?

I started out using markers for those decreases. Then as I got further along I found that I could pretty much look at the stitches and see where to decrease. I DID count to make sure though. The stitch markers never seemed to be in the right place though.

At the point I am at now which is increasing I DO have markers. I doubt you can do this w/o them, but we'll see.

Photo later..
Jan, you'll be finished before the weekend!

stoopit old work interfering with my knitting anyway. So, last night, I attached color B on row 10 instead of 11 because I'm very literal with instructions. Just now, I was about to begin row 13, but color A is on the other needle. So I'm planning to continue with B for one more row, and continue with two rows for each color until I hit row 26 and can revert to the pattern as it's written. What do you (or anyone else who's made this jacket) think?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #53
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

What do you mean it's on the other needle? I'm felting joins because it's wool, but with other yarns I just start knitting and the new color is always where it should be.. :thinking:

I don't work outside the home... so I guess you'd say I'm retired from "mothering" and "part time working" so I have lots of time.

I probably will be done by this weekend or the end anyway. I'm almost to the neck shaping now. I wish I knew how the colors were arranged on the pattern before it's folded up. I'm doing the lions share in the multi yarn and I'm going to do the same thing on the other side as I did at the beginning. We'll see how that works out. I'm keeping pretty good track of which rows the color is one, etc. That way I can do the same thing again if I want to.

We are going to the SD Zoo on Friday!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM   #54
zip

What it means is that I have three rows in color B instead of two, so I can't pick up the other color because I didn't break it off - it's attached at the other end of the circular needle. I'm using acrylic, so I'm not felting. I'll weave beneath an Icord or something when it's complete. After I posted my question, I realized that the join of color B will be visible on the front, so I'm starting over with row 10.

Way too much info, huh?

I've never been to the SD Zoo! Only the Wild Animal Park, which is close to our home. Why don't you spend the weekend there? so that I can catch up with you on the jacket.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #55
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I think it'll just be the day this time. If you like zoos you should check this one out..it's really neat!

I think I see what you mean now about the yarn being at the other end. I always start a new color on the "right side" of the work or in this case the side that you are just doing a plain knit row. That way there are less color bumps...know what I mean?

BTW.. there is nothing wrong with acrylic. I use it a lot especially for charity and for testing patterns.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 AM   #56
zip

Row 10 is a knit row, but the entire jacket's in garter stitch, so... meh. If I wasn't reknitting this, I'd just be knitting something else, you know?

A year and a half ago, friends were visiting from NJ. The wife fell on the people mover and broke her femur. The two of them were stuck here with us for six weeks. I enjoyed having them here, but ouch. Poor kid. Perhaps that's why I've not felt inclined to go to the zoo.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #57
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yikes! Fortunately I think that is an isolated incident!

I wondered when I started this whether it would make any difference where the color change was. I think it depends on what you want for your pattern and how anal you are about things like that. It does show differently on one side vs the other, but it may not bother you at all. It doesn't matter if the yarn is multi. ALSO... I think as long as you're consistent it would look fine either way.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bsj_rs.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	35622  Click image for larger version

Name:	bsj_ws.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	35623  Click image for larger version

Name:	bsj3.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	35624  

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #58
zip

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Yikes! Fortunately I think that is an isolated incident!

I wondered when I started this whether it would make any difference where the color change was. I think it depends on what you want for your pattern and how anal you are about things like that. It does show differently on one side vs the other, but it may not bother you at all. It doesn't matter if the yarn is multi. ALSO... I think as long as you're consistent it would look fine either way.
I am in deeply covetous love with your colors. What a gorgeous bathmat!

I'm on row 10. < - - I want that as my epitaph.

Had to go back to it because this pattern is like a mystery. Even the instructions read, "looks kinda funny, doesn't it?"

Honestly? I can't tell whether the beginning cast on is the side or the bottom. I wanna buy a vowel or something, and I hate those people who buy vowels. But I'm enjoying working on it and shan't put it down.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #59
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by zip

I am in deeply covetous love with your colors. What a gorgeous bathmat!
It would wouldn't it! I think I mentioned what they were in a previous reply, but if you need them again let me know.
Quote:
I'm on row 10. < - - I want that as my epitaph.

Quote:
Had to go back to it because this pattern is like a mystery. Even the instructions read, "looks kinda funny, doesn't it?"

Honestly? I can't tell whether the beginning cast on is the side or the bottom. I wanna buy a vowel or something, and I hate those people who buy vowels. But I'm enjoying working on it and shan't put it down.
I'm not positive either, but the point I'm at now is just about the neck shaping so... I can't wait to see how this thing ends up!

If you are having any problems and I can help let me know. So far so good here.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #60
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

That looks fun!

The tomten was more straightforward. I finished it Tuesday. One mistake I made was weaving in the yarn on the front edge where I made some color changes before picking up the stitches along the front edge. The front edge isn't quiet as neat as it would have been had I not had the ends woven in yet.

Can't wait to see how the surprise jackets turn out.

Mama Bear

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote