Old 01-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Maybe Lion dumped them. A few months ago I got some Bernat Galaxy for $1 and it was fine. No knots at all.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cookworm
I think they're trying to change their image to give themselves more of an "upscale" look, in their catalogs, on their skein labels, and on their website. If you go to their website, you'll also see that they have hand-painted yarns at OUTRAGEOUS prices.

I haven't used their 100% wool because Paton's Classic Merino is 100% merino wool (which is very wearable to me; not all wool is for me), it's cheaper per skein than the Lion Wool, and you get more yardage per skein.
yeah, i noticed some handpainted yarn (i think it was called Serenade? ) and it was $20/skein. now i havent know lionbrand for long, but that doesnt seem like them.

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
meg9
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cawthraven
I was just at the Lion's Brand website, and they have organic cotton yarn.
Blue Sky organic cotton is actually cheaper and has much more yardage.

I believe the LB organic cotton is 84 yds per skein.

They also have their 3 gourmet yarns that ar 40 dollars per 100 yard +/- skein. 100 % Cashmere, and mohair/silk blend

Strangely enough, their mohair silk that is fingering weight is actually TWICE as much as Kidsilk Haze, which would be it's main competition.

So I can't imagine who they are targeting for this stuff. New knitters at michaels would never spend 80 dollars to make a cashmere hat, and experienced knitters who like fancier yarn brands are very careful to look at yardage when they compare prices, if they were cheaper than the Rowans out there, that would be one thing. But why pay 40 dollars for a skein of mohair silk fingering weight that you have to wind when you can spend 14 for the same yardage of kidsilk haze, and its already in a ball.

So weird.
meg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I'm pretty sure I have no idea what the appeal is behind organic cotton. I mean, the biggest thing on organic food is no pesticides/chemicals added. But for fabric?

Unless there's some other reason that makes the cotton organic, and therefore better? (The no pesticides would be a plus, but there must be something more...?)

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i have issues with my perceived snobbery too. (okay my yarn snobbery is real...)

I would have a really hard time buying high end yarn from Lion because I don't think of them that way. I have gotten yarn from them that i have been very happy with but if i am looking for something high end i head down other avenues.

it would be like buying cashmere from Red Heart....just doesn't feel right.

is there any reason for me to feel like their high end yarns aren't good enough? nope...perceived snobbery!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

I'm pretty sure I have no idea what the appeal is behind organic cotton. I mean, the biggest thing on organic food is no pesticides/chemicals added. But for fabric?

Unless there's some other reason that makes the cotton organic, and therefore better? (The no pesticides would be a plus, but there must be something more...?)
well theoretically it shouldn't react to the skin i would suppose. and of course there is the idea of not contributing to the chemicals added to the earth. (spoken like a true farmer's daughter )
Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #17
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
well i have issues with my perceived snobbery too. (okay my yarn snobbery is real...)

I would have a really hard time buying high end yarn from Lion because I don't think of them that way. I have gotten yarn from them that i have been very happy with but if i am looking for something high end i head down other avenues.

is there any reason for me to feel like their high end yarns aren't good enough? nope...perceived snobbery!
I know. Its like buying Louis Vuitton from Walmart and then heading down to McDonalds for a fillet mignon.

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #18
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by madametj

I know. Its like buying Louis Vuitton from Walmart and then heading down to McDonalds for a fillet mignon.
Absolutely!!!!! Besides Paton's Merino is by far a better deal. For that matter so is MMMMMMMMMMMalabrigo and Manos, if you're talking about quality and yardage. Their "high end yarns" just aren't worth the cost.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #19
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

I think you might want to consider taking cover on the day that I buy anything from walmart...LV or not! Something BAAAAAAAAAD is about to happen if I am giving the Waltons' my money!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

well theoretically it shouldn't react to the skin i would suppose. and of course there is the idea of not contributing to the chemicals added to the earth. (spoken like a true farmer's daughter )
My VERY uneducated understanding of the organic cotton/fabric issue is that the bleaching/processing part of preparing yarns and fabrics for commercial use is quite environmentally unfriendly. I don't remember all the details, but it is very much similar to how paper is made. You know brown paper coffee filters vs. white paper coffee filters. What is the point of endangering the environment over coffee filters? BUT I don't know that much about the whole thing.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote