Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Measuring feet for socks
Hi all,

I'm tackling my first sock project in many, many years...

I'll be doing Priscilla Gibson-Roberts Eastern European Footlets from Interweave Winter 2003. It's a toe-up, short row toe & heel pattern.

From the directions:

Quote:
Finished Size: 8-1/4 (9-1/2)" circumference around foot. To fit a woman (man).
Well, hmmm.....when I measure around my foot in the instep area and over the top at the highest point, I get 9-3/4 - 10"!!! Are my feet really that gargantuan, or am I not measuring in the right place?

She does say later on:

Quote:
You can achieve a custom fit by increasing or decreasing the number of stitches in 4-stitch increments. To customize the foot length (measured from tip of longest toe to ankle point [is that where the ankle bone sticks out the furthest???]), work in stockinette to 2-1/2" less than desired length, then work pattern band.
Any help appreciated.

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

The sensational knitted socks book says to measure your foot just above the toes.....8 & 1/4" is pretty normal for a woman's foot!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
I'm sorry I haven't made enough socks to comment, but the best sock book I've ever tried to learn from is Queen Kahuna's Crazy Toes and Heel. I know I've been talking about this book a lot here lately but I just can't praise it enough. I also have odd feet. They are 5" long, but have a 8" circumference. The Queen has you take many measurements so you can get perfect socks that fit you no matter what your gauge is or what weight of yarn you use. You might want to check it out. I mean really can you have too many knitting options? I think not.
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

This may not be useful, but I thought I'd throw it in anyhow.... for future use. If you are going to make socks for someone else, and can't take measurements, this site has approximate heel to toe inches, if you know the person's shoe size.

http://www.softmoc.com/us/shoesize.asp

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
cara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to cara
I fit and measure for custom figure skates (for people like Kurt Browning etc).. and a womans foot will range from about 8" in circumferance at the widest part of the ball to nearly 10".

Everyone is different!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

My understanding is that you're supposed to measure the widest part at the ball of the foot -- i.e., where your "footprint" has the greatest spread. The instep area is going to have a larger circumference than the ball, but that width will be accommodated by the gusset -- or in the case of the pattern you're using, short row shaping.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote