Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

Soakers--help me out guys...
I'm showing my age I guess when I ask this question....What is the intended purpose of a soaker?? Are they to be worn over diapers? If so, disposable or cloth or either? I think they're downright cute but just don't know if I'm aware of their intended purpose.

My mom used disposables on me but my mil decided to tell me when I was 7 mos. pregnant (as I was showing her the accumulation of diapers in the closet from my baby shower) that she used cloth w/ both of her kids b/c they were allergic to the plasticy stuff that diapers were made from... ...OMG what if this baby needs cloth diapers??? I've convinced myself that now that diapers aren't made out of that plastic stuff anymore that I'll be okay....but I digress....so what are soakers intended for anyway???

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

Firstly--congratulations on your upcoming baby!!

Secondly--have a look here. Cloth diapers aren't what they used to be. They can be extravagant and adorable, or simple and cheap. Either way, they're much better for the environment...and your pocket! Even if they're not for you, they're definitely interesting to read about.

And thirdly--soakers are cloth diaper covers. Lanolized wool is water-resistant, anti-bacterial, and breatheable. They can be used over disposables, too! I've knitted a few for a pregnant friend...they're a very quick and rewarding knit. And sooooo cute!!

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
jmp3775
1st Leg of the Journey

Your question was already answered, but I wanted to assure you that disposable diapers have definitely come a long way and I dont know if I've heard of a baby these days being allergic. I'm sure you will be fine!
jmp3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
My oldest son had no problems with any disposable diaper. With my second, I learned that not every brand/type of diaper works for every baby (like a size 3 huggies would leak and a size 3 pampers was perfect), AND my second broke out in a rash whenever i tried to use any diaper other than Pampers Cruisers. With my 3rd, I have had no Option but to cloth diaper her. Her tush breaks out horribly whenever a disposable diaper is tried on her.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
DoulaLyndsey
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DoulaLyndsey Send a message via Yahoo to DoulaLyndsey
Originally Posted by feminine_earth
-soakers are cloth diaper covers. Lanolized wool is water-resistant, anti-bacterial, and breatheable. They can be used over disposables, too!
Yep! Wool is an amazing fiber! We cloth diaper and I'm busy knitting a bunch of wool covers since we're replacing all of our plastic covers with them. They're just nicer, don't leak, don't smell, and keep my baby cool and dry.

DoulaLyndsey on Ravelry

Currently working on:
-Lotus Blossom Tank (for me!)
-socks for step dad for xmas
-Fiber Trends felted clogs for great-aunt for xmas
-Sun Ray shawl from Elann for grandma for xmas
DoulaLyndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Julie
Instepping Out

You can even use soakers with disposable diapers -- I have a friend whose son had awful leaking issues, even with nighttime diapers, and he always soaked through every layer she put him in. I knit him a wool soaker and now she doesn't have to change his sheets every morning. :D