Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
happyhands
Casting On

Knit Feather and Fan
Hello,

I've only been knitting off and on for a few years... Really basic things that only require knitting and purling. These are the only two techniques that I know. So I don't know how to even do a yfwd (which I am guessing is very easy once you get it)

I would like to learn more stiches. I thought making a Knit Feather and Fan dishcloth would be a good start. I'm totally confused with this simple pattern and really unsure how to excute some of the stiches. Would someone mind to take the time to walk me through this? I would be very grateful.

So this is the pattern

Cast 58sts loosely.

Row1: *K2. yfwd. K4. (K2tog) twice. K4. yfwd. K1. yfwd. K4. (K2tog) twice. k4. yfwd. K2. Rep from * once more.

Row2: K2. Purl to last 2 sts. K2.

Row3: Knit.

Row 4 - 6: As 1st - 3rd rows. These 6 rows form pat. Rep these 6 rows 9 times more, then rows 1 and 2 once more. Cast off knitways.

I'm sure that this is a VERY basic pattern but just don't get it and how to do it... like how do you K4. yfwd.?

HappyHands
Krissy
happyhands is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Chrissie
Knitting the Flap

the yfwd is a yarn over increase. You are doing as many of these as you are k2tog in a row so you have the same number of stitches at the end of the row. To do a yfwd, just hold your yarn in front of the needle as if you were going to purl the stitch, then knit the stitch instead. you will end up with two loops on the needle where you made that one stitch. Just keep trying....I swatched once with Feather and Fan just to try it out and I think I ripped it out 4 times before it clicked and I understood how to do it.

There is a free pattern on Knitpicks that has the feather and fan stitch in a scarf, shawl, and afghan. I think it is called easy lace or something. You might want to check that out.
Tuscany from NSFY in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool - it's working up beautifully.
Montego Bay Scarf from Summer 07 IK Knits in Sea Silk - an indulgent knit
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote