Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
downthestream
Ribbing the Cuff

How many times do you frog before giving up on the project?
Arg, I have been working on a baby blanket with a 10 row repeating eyelet pattern with 5 rows of st stitch between each repeat. After doing this just fine 4 times, I got to the 5th repeat and blew it. I ripped this out 6 times, mostly from the 8th row!! The last time I started the pattern, I vowed that if it didn't go right this time the blanket would be stored indefinitely with my stash. Thank heavens I must have scared myself straight and finished it. (Although I kept telling my family to SHUSH, Mom's counting.) Now, on to the next 8 repeats.
Thanks for letting me vent!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

It is hard to not give up on a project!

What you might want to do is try the pattern on a smaller scale for a bit until you get the hang of the pattern....for example cast on for only 2 of the pattern repeats instead of the entire blanket.

Use stitch markers to help you know where the pattern starts - it breaks down the whole project for you and helps you count.

Once you get a pattern repeat done and your happy with it put a life line in - that way, if you have to rip back you don't have to rip all the way back to the beginning of the project.
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't think I've ever started a project without frogging at least once! I'm working on a baby blanket right now too, and if it weren't for lifelines and a trip to the "knit doctor" at my LYS, this thing would still be only a heap of yarn! Lifelines are SO easy and save so much time. Amy has a video in case you need a how to.

Too bad the baby was born eight weeks ago! (Part of it wasn't my fault, he came WAY too early!) I'm still working on the blanket, but not sure if it might be a little silly to give a baby gift to a 6 month old I see at least a few times a week! I gave the family a gift when he came home from the hospital, so I might just keep quite about "his" blanket.

Maybe I'll save it for my sister. She's thinking about having children in a few years, I might be done by then!

projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
I hate hate hate frogging things, last night I "tinked" three rows of some booties because I'd done the first part really well, and I'm always scared of trying to reinsert a needle somewhere earlier and ripping to there just incase the needles go in the wrong way and I don't notice, or I miss a stitch.

Why is it called "frogging" anyway?

Poor frogs

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I don't usually let the pattern win I always say this will not beat me... so no matter how many times I have to frog I will start it again... however, last week I started the pinwheel baby afghan.. and I placed PM to let me know when to do the YOs.. sometime I lost a PM and didn't even notice it for 20 more rounds... I frogged that thing and was so annoyed with myself for not paying closer attention I have not restarted it... I will.. I know I will but right now the baby pinwheel blanket is on hold...

The most annoying project I ever did was my daughter's Easter dress... the pattern was wrong.. the lady was nice and we kinda worked on it together till she came up missing on me.. the LYS told me to give up on it.. dh told me to give up on it... my mom even said I'll buy her a dress if you just stop cause I was so frustrated.. but I worked that dress pattern out and finished it..

I was so happy with myself that I had stayed with it and figured it out...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by niffer
Because you rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppp it out, which sounds like "ribbit" like frogs do!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by niffer

Poor frogs
"rip it, rip it".

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
when my dh hears my sigh he starts making frog noises and says are we going to frog it...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
mrs desert rain
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to mrs desert rain
i recently gave up on a project, which is a first for me.

it was that lace wedding garter i had planned to make for my sister's wedding (which is this saturday). i frogged the darn thing 30 TIMES. no typo there -- 30 times. i was so frustrated, having to knit with cotton thread on size 00 alum needles. i just couldn't do it.

for the most part, i don't let myself get into that situation. i've frogged other projects a half-dozen times before finally 'getting it' and succeeding.

but i'll say -- if the project is so frustrating that your constant cussing ( ) stops your DH in his tracks, it's probably best to move onto something else.

Free time? What free time?
More socks (Lorna's Laces, Baltic Sea)
Tie-Front Cardigan (p. 71 VOGUE Knitting, Holiday 06)
Rose Cardigan (VOGUE Knitting, Winter 07)

Recent FO's
Wicked Sweater
Socks and socks and socks
Calorimetries Galore
mrs desert rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Mrs. Columbo

I started a shawl for my DD who is expecting a baby in March ... found a great pattern in a book DH gave me for Christmas ... bought the yarn ... did 10 rows and frogged it ... started over .. frogged that ... DH said after two weeks "gee that's not going very fast" or "you think you should be finished that by now?" meanwhile it was a heap of wool on the floor and me sitting there looking at him with pointy sticks in my hand and steam coming out of my ears .... someone on the list said to try a different type of yarn, a change may be what you need, perhaps that yarn isn't "for" that type of project .. so I did ... frogged that ... ahh but I am going to keep going ... with yet another yarn .... maybe a different pattern ....

Now I've started a blanket for a rescue dog ... started a wool blend but I have had to tear that out and will use something more fitting like cotton.

WILL I EVER FINISH A PROJECT I START?????

Toby