Old 01-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
deby
Casting On

New knitter, ????'s about afghans
I'm so new to knitting I can honestly say I almost don't know how to knit; got a book on knitting for christmas, but am finding that these videos are much more helpful. I want to knit an afghan; simple, right? How many stitches should I cast on, how big of needles, etc? I don't want a really "holey" afghan, like a lot of crochet ones are, just something warm and cuddly. And would circular needles be better? Am I biting off more than I can chew at this preemie stage of my knitting expertise?
deby is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
stagebear
Knitting the Flap

an afghan can be a very large proget for a new knitter, but if you're up for the challenge, go for large needles and multiple strands held together for a quicker knit. cast on stitches to aquire your desired width. the "holey" efect is due to different pattern stitches, so you'll just want garter or stockinette. circs will serve you better as you can fit more stitches on (i also like that the weight doesnt pull on my wrists).

for pattern ideas, try: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...ry/afghans.php
(if it seems like a lot, you can do a patchwork afghan or strips - only knit small sections and then stitch them all together)
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I think an afghan might be a bit much for a new knitter, but if that's what you want to do then go for it.

Unless you are making squares or strips to sew together you will need circular needles. Check out the patterns at the link posted and the choose your needle and yarn based on what the patterns say.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Mrs. Columbo

Hi,

Actually my second project is an afghan ... I had started a shawl for our daughter who is expecting a baby in March and I tore that out and started it three times on different yarns ... now I'm onto the afghan but I changed the yarn and needles from what it calls for because my mom is in a home and doesn't want anything super heavy .. it calls for two strands of worsted and 12.75 needles .. I'm doing one strand and using 10 needles .. DO USE CIRCULARS .. they make the project sit in your lap and avoid undue wrist strain ... however I badly injured my hand last night by falling on ice when my dog got spooked, so I can't knit now till it heals and I'm a one finger left hand typist ... a lot of people say that hats and socks are easy but I don't find so .. I do find scarves easy and have made two!!

Toby
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
deby
Casting On

thanks
thanks for all your suggestions, very very helpful! right now i feel like i'm all thumbs at this. but i did go to the link suggested for afghan patterns, and looking at some of those plus using all your suggestions, i just might succeed in knitting something! i bought some circular needles, will practice knitting on straight needles, then dive in. thanks again!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
luv2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi,

I did an afghan really early on when I learned to knit. I really struggled with it, but kept at it and now I am on the third one. I am not all that fond of ones that look crocheted either. The first two afghans were made as gifts and they were very well received. I used the yarn suggested in the pattern and did not add the fringe. The second and third ones I adjusted the width. The link is the one below for my DS.

Too save money on the yarn I waited until JoAnns Online store had it on sale, then waited until their had free shipping...which actually has happened twice now! And if you order more than 8 skeins/balls of yarn you get an additional 5% off. So if you aren't in a hurry you can wait for a sale. I have used a lot of the LB thick and quick Wool so it was worth waiting and getting the discounts.

Also before I started the afghan I practiced the stitch for the afghan with some inexpensive thick yarn at Walmart and made myself a scarf. That way I learned the stitch with something I didn't have too much cost invested in. So maybe try a stitch first in a scarf pattern before attempting a large afghan.

My Daughter wanted to do her own blanket, so we chose the one I have the link DD. However she is having more difficulty because even though she knows how to knit in garter stitch, using smaller needles with the homespun has been harder. The yarn splits easily so if I was to do this again I might go up a size with the needles and adjust then knit to the size instructed (to get the squares the same size as with the other needles)...probably more info that you need. But as someone stated earlier making something with small pieces might be a good idea. Homespun knits up fast, is soft and usually can be found on sale. It's not my favorite yarn, but my daughter likes it despite having a bit of trouble getting it knitted.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse you more!

luv2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
deby
Casting On

wow - i've got so much to learn about knitting, and everyone on this forum is so helpful. The links are great, lots of good patterns and ideas. Great idea to use inexpensive yarn for practice scarf!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
letah75
Working the Gusset

The very first item I knit was an afghan. At the time I didn't know what I was doing, I had a book with pictures on how to do the knit stitch sitting next to me in case I forgot what I was doing.

I CO 40 stitches (in homespun, I know ack!)

I knit 50 rows, added another color, knitted 50 rows, and so on, until it was taller than I am (I'm 5'2", the pannel was 6 feet)

then I did it all over again, alternating colors, and again, and again. Then I sewed the pannels together (no knowing if that was how you made an afghan) then I crochected a one row border around the entire afghan (which ended up fitting a queen sized bed).

Then I promptly gave the blanket away. Sheesh.

I think if you are someone who can stick with something, and aren't easielly distracted and afghan can be a good project for a beginner. I'll tell you, by the time you're done you have the knit stitch and your tension down to a science.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
letah75
Working the Gusset

The very first item I knit was an afghan. At the time I didn't know what I was doing, I had a book with pictures on how to do the knit stitch sitting next to me in case I forgot what I was doing.

I CO 40 stitches (in homespun, I know ack!)

I knit 50 rows, added another color, knitted 50 rows, and so on, until it was taller than I am (I'm 5'2", the pannel was 6 feet)

then I did it all over again, alternating colors, and again, and again. Then I sewed the pannels together (no knowing if that was how you made an afghan) then I crochected a one row border around the entire afghan (which ended up fitting a queen sized bed).

Then I promptly gave the blanket away. Sheesh.

I think if you are someone who can stick with something, and aren't easielly distracted and afghan can be a good project for a beginner. I'll tell you, by the time you're done you have the knit stitch and your tension down to a science.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
EmilyKaye
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to EmilyKaye
It's definitely not my first project, but I'm in the process of knitting an afghan myself. I found a pattern I liked that called for blocks to be made, and I love the idea. Yes, I have to make 80 squares, but I made 3 squares while watching American Idol!

Now I know why my grandma made a gazillion granny square blankets!
EmilyKaye is offline   Reply With Quote