Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
misshapen sweater piece
ok i'm doing my first sweater and i'm just freaking out a bit again. i've ripped it out a couple times already, no reason to rip at this moment except it's just shaped funky! the edge is that like mock i-cord where you slip the stitches wyif and then knit them on the way back and that is like completely bowed and the rest of it isn't rectangular either and it almost looks as if i've added stitches to the moss section, but i haven't, i swear... i know it will be blocked before assembly, but is this normal because i'm about to throw it out the window.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010005_153.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	35425  

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I think that because different stitch patterns can have different gauges, it isn't all that odd that it looks a bit uneven. Honestly, I don't think it looks that uneven at all but I know how it is, when you're the one knitting it you can see every little imperfection!! It will all come out in the blocking, I'm sure of it.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Blocking and/or washing does help stitches even out. And if it's just an edge that doesn't look quite right, isn't it going to be inside a seam?

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I agree--seaming will take care of the edge, and blocking will handle the rest.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Blocking and seaming cure MANY MANY evils!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks all. i have a picture here of a little further along and it's getting worse, IMO. the thing is, that bowed edge on the left is actually not going to be seamed, the RS is facing and that's the left front, the moss is going to be the seamed part.... the moss seems to be spreading... i'm hating this.

will the blocking really fix this or shall i rip..... again.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1020008-1.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	35451  

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 01-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I don't see where you think the moss is spreading.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The edge seems to be curved a little on the moss side as well as the ribbed side. I think it's because it's still on on the needles and the rows near them are spreading the stitches apart a little. Unless you've accidentally added stitches. Is there an increase for shaping? The ribbing for the front edge will be okay - ribbing curves like that. Really, I'd do up the whole piece and BO, then see how it looks off the needles.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

It looks fine to me, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. I'm saying it from experience of many knitted projects. When a piece is on the needles, the shape almost always looks a little "off" because you're taking a yarn that is all comfy in it's skein or ball and making it do all these twists and turns, loops and hoops and it's not used to it yet. Sounds silly, but 100% true. The yarn needs to relax into it's new shape. This is why seaming and blocking helps the shaping so much.

Really, when you see finished items that look all perfect, consider that they very rarely fall off the needles in perfect condition. I wet block almost everything I knit, scarves, socks... anything, just because they just look better afterwards and I'm pretty anal about my finished pieces! Don't laugh... it's a character flaw.

In all honesty, you're being very, very critical of your knitting which is not only unnecessary, but it's damaging in the fact that you're not enjoying what you're knitting and in fact, "hating" it! EEP!

Just please, take a minute and remember this... hand knits should look hand knit. Otherwise, why not just buy a commercial piece? They're often cheaper and quicker to obtain! Trust the pattern and love everything about your hand knits, even their imperfections. You'll enjoy knitting so much more.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

thanks everyone for the help and encouragement! while i think you are all correct about the blocking (and kristin, EXCELLENT point about the yarn getting comfy) I have decided that malabrigo isn't my yarn match for this project and i think that is partly what was skewing my view of the item. the pattern calls for a very soft plied yarn and i am getting a very stiff fabric. i am making another sweater out of the malabrigo already that i LOVE and am proud of already and i'm redesigning as i'm making it and am going to plan on getting the alpaca to make the jacket with. i decided also that i would really rather the jacket be in a soft lucious brown alpaca anyway and might try to spin it up myself, we'll see...

kristin, thank you for your thoughts too. it took me a really long time to appreciate the charm of handknitting and not expect machine perfection from my knitting and i will even leave small mistakes sometimes because i do believe nothing from our hands SHOULD be exactly perfect. when i said 'hating it,' the reason behind that was not that i wasn't enjoying the process, but because when i've got $150 invested in a project and am going to be spending lord knows how much time actually working on it, while charming and original is good, i do want it looking like something i can feel proud of and not a waste of $150 in yarn. my standards of what i can be proud of very well might be too high, you are 100% right about me being overly critical of my work. in this case, being it was my first adult-size garment, i was really more afraid i was doing something wrong that was making it spread and bow, but i was rather enjoying working on it really. (who can hate working with malabrigo? ;-)) plus i finally feel like i've conquered continental/combined knitting and was pretty excited about that AND i was using my now favorite KP options needles too.

thanks again to all! :-D