Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #31
m0nigrrl
Casting On

Hi All,

Just bumping us up, we were on the 2nd page . I'm out in the sticks in the Hills District of Sydney. I haven't been to Tapestry Craft before but after looking at their website I'm thinking that I need too . Susan P, it's frustrating not having access to all the yarns people talk about on here isn't it? I hate trying to figure out yarn substitutions because I'm only new to knitting and I find it really difficult and I'm never 100% happy with the end result. I love the Vogue knitting and Interweave Knits magazines but it's difficult to find the yarn used in the patterns here . I tend to use Bendigo wool or cotton yarn if I possibly can.

I hope everyone is well (I like that smiley, it's like the Wiggles dance which incidentally my daughter is watching right now).

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #32
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I got a sample thingy once for Bendigo but never bought from them. How do you find their yarns? Tapestry Craft have never stocked 100% cottons before but I asked them to consider it. I haven't looked at their site for a while. To be honest, I found shopping for yarns easier when I lived in the country. A shop. albeit expensive and limited, was ten mins away. Now I need to think 2/3 hour trips I won't buy really until I am settled in new place but it's not always easier shopping in big cities like people suggest it is!
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #33
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

m0nigrrl.. I also meant to add that aren't our yarns expensive compared to what the US folk - in the main - are paying! Gosh, I WISH we had their prices.

Sometimes I have drooled over a specialty yarn here but I would not readily pay $14-$16 a ball for something with minimal yardage!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #34
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
I got a sample thingy once for Bendigo but never bought from them. How do you find their yarns? Tapestry Craft have never stocked 100% cottons before but I asked them to consider it. I haven't looked at their site for a while. To be honest, I found shopping for yarns easier when I lived in the country. A shop. albeit expensive and limited, was ten mins away. Now I need to think 2/3 hour trips I won't buy really until I am settled in new place but it's not always easier shopping in big cities like people suggest it is!

Tapestry Craft sell a LOT of 100% cotton yarns. Always have in the time I've shopped there (going on 5-6 years)...

Plus.. they have a sale on at the moment.. at least 20% off everything!!! :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #35
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

misstialouise.. I have missed the sale by a day I think!!! arrggghhh. Well, blow me down, but I emailed them a few months ago and was told they did not sell 100% cotton. What the..!? :-) Oh well..nice to know they DO sell it.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #36
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

hi guys.. a spotlight frustration post. I saw on the spotlight site a yarn going at a great price and that would suit the rug i want to make. i'm still unfamiliar with sydney roads etc so i looked up the store locater to see shops closest to me. one store never answered the phone across three days of calls. one shop did answer but were flustered and rushed but did ring back with a metre length (but had basically no balls in stock). I was a little suspect about that metre length as it seemed a little 'too good to be true'. I wound up ringing the shop from home service and discovered that they could not tell me the metre length and I could not buy through them anyway as the line is being discontinued. They DID manage to get through to the store that wasn't answering their phone to check their stocks..none.

Tapestry Craft I'd pay double for similar yarns but at least I would get clear service but how VERY frustrating and I am so glad I rang ahead and didn't battle through traffic for goods that were unavailable!

I want some chunky almost 100% wool yarns for my rugs but I think I won't felt (as the cost of the yarn will wind up too high) so I'm thinking an acrylic mix would be ok. I think I'll just scour TP site and look for best buy and be done with it but gosh shopping for yarn in Sydney is proving harder than when I lived in the country.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #37
Possum
Casting On

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Another Aussie here. Melbournite.

Bendigo Mills have a special on their new wool atm, it's a blend with 25% BFL and 10% mohair. Kind of soft and silky and costs about $12 (on sale) for a 200gm (400m) ball. That's not the kind of wool I usually buy, so I actually have little idea if that's a really good price, but I thought I'd add it in incase it appeals to anyone.

Anyhow, good to see some Australians around here. Cheers!
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #38
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

These balls were $3.95..100% wool for 90m..a total bargain here..

Hi back tho!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #39
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I could order different yarn online..but you know how it is..you want it yesterday!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #40
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Susan, Tapestry Craft sale is still on... for a couple more weeks actually... Jump online and order !! :D

I'm pretty sure they also do express postage :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to misstialouise For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (06-04-2007)