Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #41
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Hi..thanks..I've seen *drool*.. I'm still considering driving to spotlight today (and allowing an hour to get lost in traffic as I always do :-)) simply because that price is soooo good and I want one or two other things. But TC has a few yummy items and yes they do express post but I've found once that price is added (depending on size of order) you're back up to a much higher price but some delicious things..sadly I've left it so late some of my favourite colours have run out but never mind :_) I often feel sad seeing fav yarns being discontinued too..

I saw the TC price on a few of their designer rug kits..errr..well over a thousand dollars and one has sold out! Some folks must seriously invest in their craft and have good incomes as I cannot ever imagine being able to afford that.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 AM   #42
bah
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to bah
I'm coming to Sydney in 3 weeks and am looking for a yarn shop, and maybe some people to get together with one evening for a cuppa and a little bit of knitting.

Its been about 4 years since I've been to Sydney, and didn't knit then and thought it'd be a great way to meet new people!

TIA
bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #43
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Tapestry Craft in York St would be the best place to go in the city I think. Have you been overseas or in another part of the country?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #44
bah
Ribbing the Cuff

I've been overseas (muliple places)! I studied at James Cook Uni up in Townsville about 4 years ago, and just last year went to Perth for a couple weeks. I currently live in Japan.

Thanks for the store recommendation, I'll definitely have to check it out!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #45
five_six
Turning the Heel

Hey all... can't remember which of you guys are in Vic, so I thought I'd just post a general question. I'll be down there for 10 days from the 29th June till the 9th of July and was wondering if there were any places I just HAD to check out while I was down there. You know, yarn shops, farms, etc.

Anything to add to my itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #46
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Hey Bah!

Tapestry Craft is my LYS. Thursday nights they have a SnB session from 5 to 7pm. No bevvie's though as they do it instore..

But if the Sydney chicks are up for a get together, the Grace Hotel is on York St behind TC and does a nice cuppa (it's an actual hotel, rather than a pub pretending to be one)... :D That way we can shop at TC, then head to the Grace...

OR...

We can head to the Tea Centre in the Glasshouse and take over the little platform area upstairs and have (what I consider) to be some of the best tea in Sydney...

OR...

We can book a table at the Tearoom in the QVB for Saturday morning tea (HAS to be booked) and we can idulgently have a proper 'tea' (morning tea is $17 and is served between 11am and noon... afternoon tea which includes a little more, is $30... both of which are DEVINE).. they have recently refurbished and are very lush :D

There are of course other places to have tea, and I know a fair few of them so if none of the above suits, I can suggest more..

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:08 AM   #47
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I can't make any arrangements atm until I get settled (arranging moves is becoming a nightmare), but in a month or so I'd consider it and a gracious and proper morning tea may be nice However, I'll need a place with no stairs (a small single one is ok).
Old 06-15-2007, 03:33 AM   #48
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Susan, to get to the Tearoom it's an elevator and 3 small stairs..

OR, in Imperial arcade, there's Tiffanies, which has nice coffee, lovely staff (and their food is nice too :D), which is an escalator and no stairs :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #49
bah
Ribbing the Cuff

The only day I'll be able to get together when I'm there is July 4...the rest of the time I have commitments. I'd love to do tea with people though if anyone is available. I'll be staying in the Darling Harbour area (haven't pinned down a place yet) but I will have a car (and a bike for that matter) so I'm mobile while there.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #50
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

The totally without steps one would be best for me. Bah..there are some lovely..albeit expensive..places to stay on Darling Harbour.

Just for discussion, I've been to 3 spotlight stores recently; Bondi, Drummoyne and Banskia. Banksia is the only one with parking available underneath the building and the lift up from that. All have ramp and/or lift access but Drummoyne is much further to walk to than any of them. The Banksia store BY FAR had the best arrangement of yarns. They were tidily and sensibly organised (although I had to get a young man to reach me down yarns that were way too high and would be difficult for many to reach).

In all but the Bondi store, shoppers were happy to stop and chat and talk knitting. One woman at Drummoyne had THE most beautiful cardigan on that she had knitted.

The Bondi store must be oldish as it did have a grubby look and sections of carpet were badly taped down where holes or rips existed. Drummoyne looked 'untidy' and unkempt in sections which I know sounds odd but you may know what I mean.

Banksia took a while to get through a checkout (very understaffed) but of the three was the cleanest and had the most organised yarn section. That said, they are VERY well accessed by customers and that means yarns can disappear quickly and they often don't answer the phone. Drummoyne answers and is reasonably patient. Bondi answer and act flustered and overworked :-)

I'll be grabbing some cottons from TC soon.

Anyone find the best outlet for rug underlay 'non slip' material? I was at Ikea the other day and would not buy their open weave stuff because I think it would scratch fine tiling. I was gazing at a pack and must have had an expression as a couple came up to me and basically recommended I NOT buy it. They found it smelled terribly and they had even tried to wash it and still had the problem. I know Spotlight sell non slip rug underlay per metre but my knees cave so quickly walking around those places I didn't look at quality. Are there any other choices Aussies know of apart from just carpet stores?