Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 AM   #61
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
I've been encouraging TC to start an Aussie specific forum by the way. I love knittinghelp and it's forum and couldn't do without the expert advice here. At the same time I rarely know the yarns people are discussing and I'd like to at least talk amongst aussies about that.
I've been thinking about this. I know the Marketing Manager / Webmaster for TC, and tbh, she just doesn't have the time to moderate a forum as well.

Now, we can ask Amy for our own section here, just to talk about the common Aussie yarns.... OR I can get something set up on my website...

Thoughts??

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #62
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Hi..having run a number of forums I offered to do it for TC and the offer wasn't taken up. I also think we could do with our own forum..simply to discuss the yarns we can buy and perhaps some charity knitting etc. I like this forum setup so perhaps we could ask Amy if it is feasible? I guess then the problem may be that every country may want one. You know, we could always deal with THIS thread like it's our own and just discuss here couldn't we?

I noticed the Salvation Army are asking for knitted item donations. I'm going to donate some scarves at the local drop in coffee place. It will probably be too late to do a group blanket or rug at this point but that doesn't mean we could get together and choose to make some things in advance for next winter. Thoughts?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #63
Jumbuck
Casting On

Qld Knitters?
I live just west of Toowoomba and wondered if there were any knitters or knitting groups in the Toowoomba area?

Helen.
Jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #64
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Hi Helen..back in this thread somewhere I posted a site that had a bunch of knitting groups around Australia. One of your local craft shops may know - or sewing shops.

Where are you tending to buy your yarn from?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #65
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

misstialouise Listen, if you'd like to approach Amy re a forum do that by all means. I find I know almost none of the yarns discussed here and sometimes it would be invaluable to know how people have found TC or Spotlight or Bendigo yarns etc. Given we often pay so much for them it would be excellent to know. Most yarns I've enjoyed but I few I'd caution people about.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #66
Jumbuck
Casting On

Hi Helen..back in this thread somewhere I posted a site that had a bunch of knitting groups around Australia. One of your local craft shops may know - or sewing shops.

Where are you tending to buy your yarn from?
Thanks Susan, I'll check back tomorrow - bit late now. :-)

I've bought from

http://www.theknittery.com/
at East Doncaster, Vic.

http://www.sarahdurrant.com/
at Kilmore, Vic.

http://www.beadopalwoolqueen.com.au/
at Harcourt, Vic.

Am waiting on wool from

http://www.thewoolshack.com/

and waiting on a shade chart from

http://www.ozeyarn.com/index.htm

in Sydney.

Did try Patonyle 4 ply but it's a bit too 'fluffy' for my liking, plus it was only in 25 gm balls which meant joining, whereas the others come in 100 gm skeins/hanks or balls. Washed up OK though.

Toowoomba has Spotlight and Lincraft (not much at that one the last time I was there, they seem to have gone to the dogs - if you know what I mean). Big W have some wool but no 4 ply.

Having not knitted for years, an living west of Toowoomba, I need to buy my wool online at the moment.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #67
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Check out Tapestry Craft in Sydney. Some very expensive lines though but then some reasonable prices (and yes, checking out the metreage is important). Generally very good online service tho I had a lot of problems with last order. Only one of three that's had problems tho. I used to love Lincraft for fabrics and for beads. Spotlight is 'ok' but you can't order sale stuff as a home shopper and ringing the stores is hopeless as a rule. I've often found smaller yarn shops great in rural areas. I wish there was a yarn shop somewhere in my area but it looks like Vic has dibs on most of the smaller stores. One in Canberra too.

www.tapestrycraft.com.au/catalog/index.php

How have you found the woolshack?
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
Jumbuck (07-30-2007)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #68
Jumbuck
Casting On

Hi Susan. Well it didn't take the 14 days I expected going on Aust Post's past performance, or the 8 days quoted - the package arrived today! Was posted last Wed., so that makes 6 days including the weekend, from WA to country Qld , which is excellent service in my book. Will definitely order from them again.

Jemma also included a (4 ply)sock pattern and some jelly beans.

Time to check out the cricket and do some more knitting.

How have you found the woolshack?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #69
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I also think that a great time period to cover that distance and isn't it great when they include a little treat. I've never experienced that before! I'll have to take a closer look at their site.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #70
Jumbuck
Casting On

I also think that a great time period to cover that distance and isn't it great when they include a little treat. I've never experienced that before! I'll have to take a closer look at their site.
I'm using the Merino 4 ply from The Knittery at the moment and it is lovely and soft. Will definitely be ordering more. Think I must have got the last skein of "See Breeze" because it's now out of stock.

http://www.theknittery.com/c/24751/1...k-merino-.html