Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #101
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hi Mulderknitter! A gift certificate doesn't count as a New Yarn purchase!
It is like Stash...you had it before you joined! Besides, the GC is probably a gift from someone, right? Not your fault!

So, welcome to The Stashies! We need your support!!
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #102
lauraknits
Knitting the Flap

I will make this further committment:

I WILL NOT cast on for a new project, even with stash yarn, until I finish 2 of my unfinished projects. I have a UFO problem.

OTN:
2 top-down sweaters, working on sleeves on both. Lost momentum.
2 sets of fingerless gloves (second glove syndrome)
2 hats
No, make that 3 hats

I hereby promise not to cast on a new project until I finish one smaller project plus a sweater. Swear to the yarn gods.
lauraknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #103
lissalue
Instepping Out

i finished one dishcloth yesterday, if i finish two more i will have used up two balls of stash yarn!!!!!!

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #104
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Lauraknits! Way to go girl. Take the yarn by the horns. Where I get hung up is this: I get all 5 pieces for a cardigan knit AND blocked...ready to assemble....then another...then another...then another. I lose momentum because while one sweater is blocking I begin another. Get so excited about it...I just keep on and block it, too...but while it is blocking...I start another and get excited about finishing it! (My blocking phase takes at least a week to complete) This summer was ridicuous! I had 4 sweaters and a 3/4 coat knit and blocked and folded neatly...ready for seaming. Sigh. The task of seaming 5 projects was overwhelming. But, once I started, I felt inspired...and got them all done. Allowed myself a Stash scarf inbetween each one. Quickie scarves.

So, I am not doing THAT anymore. So, I began to poke around in my Stash for yarn for baby gifts...and have been on a Stash-busting roll. I am going to keep on rollin'. My 2007 goal is: knitting only the beautiful yarns I already own. Spend some time and money taking a Magic Loop sock class, and maybe an Entrelac class. One of our Stash sisters has coined a cool word for her Stash Project: making a "stashghan"! She has a cool stashghan started on her blog site. It is waaay cool. I hope she will post it again! I would like to give a stashghan to my daughter! Her pattern is easy...and it eliminates having to seam a bunch of squares at a later date. As you know...I am bad at getting to the assembly phase.

TO ALL STASHIES! At the beginning of each month throughout 2007, maybe on the 1st of each month, I will check in and post my new yarn $expenditure$ for the previous month. I hope it is $0. If I spend any money, I hope it will be for patterns, organization tools, classes, etc...but NO YARN. I am a Serial Stasher...so this is my own personal goal $0 for new yarn. But, I will use my New Yarn reward if needs be...if I intend to KNIT IT RIGHT AWAY. Can't add New Yarn to the Stash for a "someday project".

Well, off to watch American Idol on tape, and work on that purple MicroSpun scarf! It's about 12" now. It's taking more time than I thought.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #105
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Way to go ArtLady! Keep going on that microspun scarf!
I like your thiinking on the gc- I did get it before the stashies started so it's not my fault I can have new yarn. And I just might need to buy that lace book that I've been eyeing...
I have even started stash busting before I knew I should. I have a bday present to make for my best friend due in 2 weeks, so I rushed home and dug out the leftovers from her scarf that I made and am making a matching hat! In the process I wound up 2 skeins of lace weight yarn that needed it, now I can go buy that book - right? books aren't stash!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #106
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Dear Stashies -

Issue here - I signed up for a class before I committed to be a stashie - and LYS insists that you buy the supplies there for the class - and becuase its a year-long class - (one square at a time), the yardage requirement is heinous.

So.....in order to fulfill my prior commitment...I had to give in. At least I get 25% off on it.

Now here is where I need advice: because of the yardage, I am going to have to order the yarn regardless. My initial thought was to go with this luscious malabrigo but I am worried that you won't see the stitch definition. Option 2 was Berrocco Ultra Alpaca. Incredibly yumptious. Option 3 was to use Galway chunky - in either a heathered blue or a burgundy. Price wise of course the malabrigo ends up being the most, but the Alpaca is actually probably the cheapest. What do you think??

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #107
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
ohh the alpaca would be nice... I also think the Encore Chunky would be a good option too... malabrigo would be wonderful.. I've done a few things with malabrigo and cables.. and you can see them.. maybe you could post and see if others had good stitch definition with malabrigo. I wasn't much help

I joined for a scarf thing once a month.. I'm starting in Feb.. my mom and dh think I need to get out for some knitting time while he stays with the kids... I can buy the yarn as I go and just what I need.. so will do stash busting in between...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #108
madametj
Working the Gusset

i think i need to work on finishing UFOs more than stash-busting

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #109
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Stashies! We are such a great team of Stashies, so conscientious about buying new yarn...etc. Let's make one thing clear: ANYTHING you committed to prior to joining the Stashies IS OKAY! If you joined a class that will require yarn purchases...buy that yarn without guilt! :-) And, of course, credit is earned by finishing WIP's! Because, when you think about it...yarn that is on the needles...but not finished...is really part of your Stash...until the garment or item is DONE!

We are awesome!!!

Here is what happened to me today: Drove 30 miles south to meet my daughter for coffee. In her area is one of my favorite yarn haunts...The Lamb's Ear. Oh yes, I contemplated 'swinging by'...but then thought again: "If I use my Reward Yarn credit...then I will have to knit it right away...naw...think I will skip it..." I did not stop by The Lamb's Ear. Know why? I am in my Stash Awareness Mode...and I really want to knit away at my Stash Projects more! Yesssss! Now this is the mindset that may get me out of Stash Debt by Dec 2007!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #110
madametj
Working the Gusset

i think the definition of "stash" has broadened for many of us

(p.s. will we be getting in icon for the stashies? sorry to say i'm quite clueless in this area )

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote