Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
considering I started knitting when I was a child - then gave up for years due to lack of time, and have only recently come back to it, my stash consists of random stuff I bought aged 7-11 from the bargain bin at the local yarn shop that no longer exists. Not enough of any one colour or type to make anything with, and in colours like flourescent orange. I do have a couple of UFOs like the pair of socks I started, my mum decided to "help" me with and made a mistake I couldn't be bothered to unpick and start again from...
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

Dude, I'm so there. And I'm blogging it!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Great idea! I have actually been working on stash busting for quite a while making things for charity. Most of what I make is for charity actually and while I have bought yarn for some of the projects or to complete some of them the lions share has come from donated yarn. Anyway, I'm in.

Also blogging your efforts is a great idea!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
OK! We are officially called the Stashies!!
Anyone object to that, or have a better name? I like Stashies!

Thanks to all who "joined" us Stashies! And we welcome any new Stashies who join later! We need the support! We will get that Stash down to size!

It will save money, too...using the Stash! Allowing ourselves a New Yarn Project after completing a Stash Project...means we can shop for new yarn without guilt. Won't that feel good?? Kinda like an ice cream cone tastes so good at the end of a long walk!!

Note: to those who have very small Stashes: a Stash Project can be something very small...like a cute dishcloth! Really, any fiber could make up into a dishcloth! Extra credit for doing a set of three for gift giving! Also, you could knit up 'squares' for later seaming into a patchwork quilt. I did that a couple of summers ago. Made two of my granddaughters blankets...made from the leftovers of lots of projects, and stash yarn, too. The "squares" were all different patterns...and some mult-stripes. The project was easy to take on vacation. The squares were just 5x5. Note: be sure and block them as you go along. Don't wait til you have a billion squares to block! Then I crocheted a black border before beginning a new square. It made the blanket assembly less tedious.

Well, I am just home from work...and am going off to work on my Stash Project...the baby blanket with MicroSpun. Buttercup, basketweave. It is quite tedious. But, 46" wide...and now 30" long. Just 16" to go!

I have additional MicroSpun in odd colors...and they will become discloths.
The Sugar 'n' Cream that I have used in the past looks so horrid after a few washings...loses its shape and color. Who knew?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #15
madametj
Working the Gusset

have u seen the stash management PDF on knit picks? http://knitpicks.com/kpimages/PDF/stashmgmt.pdf

i'm with HamburgKnitter I my resolution is to get a stash

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #16
Mrs. Columbo

I am looking at bags of yarn, scads of patterns I have printed out and nothing on the needles anymore thanks to my knitting Bullmastiff who made a soggy mess out of a blanket I was doing .... a bunch of kinky yarn on the floor and a knitting meetup tomorrow ... maybe a trip to the yarn store to buy more yarn to ward of my oncoming depression.

Yes, count me in ... much yarn and nothing on the move ....

Toby
Old 01-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #17
jdee
Working the Gusset

I've made two out of town trips to the nearest yarn store. One was for thier annual sale (all yarn was 30% off) and the second was for the Debbie Bliss seminar (DH bought the ticket for me for Christmas).

Anyway, my question is, How long must we have the yarn before it's considered part of our stash?

Since the nearest LYS is 2 hours away, I usually go crazy when we go. It would be very hard to limit it to just enough for a reward project, but I think I can do it.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:20 AM   #18
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I am IN
and actually have been for a while now
but I WAY need to get rid of this yarn
chemo caps in acrylic, felted bags in the wool
finished planned things with what I can
but no buying yarn

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Yes, I have seen KnitPicks tips on Stash Management! Something that I really like are the zippered bags! I purchased dozens of the clear plastic zippered bags from www.woodlandwoolworks.com I have not seen a better price anywhere! For the small (9x11x3) only $1.75...and the medium size (12x15x4) for $2.25. You can cram 12 skeins of worsted in the small...and 20 or more in the medium!

The item number for the small is #103560 and the medium is #103561. There is an "XXL" bag (26x29x9.5) for $5...item #103562...but I have not had any need for a bag that large. BTW, Woodland WoolWorks is a very reputable company to deal with. I have never had any problems with them, their products or service.

I keep all my yarns in the zippered bags. One of my Stash 'harbors' is a huge wicker trunk...with lots of places for spiders or bugs to crawl in and set up house. I have never had a bug in my yarns, mind you...but don't want to start! With the Stash Yarn sitting dormant for so long a time, it does roll out the red carpet for pests to move in!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #20
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
oh boy.. I've been thinking about this and thinking about this.. I even ordered some last minute yarn to get it out of my system from KP okkk... I'm in too.. my dh will be happy..

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote