Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Tracy1275
Casting On
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st sweater about to cry!!!
Hi Ladies and Gents,

Okay I'm working on my 1st sweater which is a free pattern from lion brand yarn.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50733A.html

I am now shaping the left front
Shape Left Front
Continue on 29 (30, 31) sts for Left Front, working 4 rows in garter st.
Inc Row (WS) K to last 2 sts, inc in next st, k 1 30 (31, 32) sts.
Work 1 row even.
Rep last 2 rows 2 more times 32 (33, 34) sts.
Next Row (WS) Knit to end of row, cast on 2 sts 34 (35, 36) sts.
Work 1 row even.
Next Row (WS) Knit to end of row, cast on 6 sts 40 (41, 42) sts.
Work even until Cuff measures 6 in. [15 cm], end with a RS row.
Next Row (WS) Bind off 6 sts, knit to end of row 34 (35, 36) sts
.

This sweater is worked in one piece and at this point it just looked WRONG! I went to my local knitters shop and they told me to leave the steps in blue OUT and just work even for 6 in. because I had already shaped the cuff:

Shape Sleeves
Inc Row (RS) K 1, inc in next st, k to last 2 sts, inc in next st, k 1 34 (36, 38) sts.
Next Row (WS) Knit.
Rep last 2 rows 14 more times 62 sts.

Shape Cuffs
Cast on 6 sts at end of next 2 rows 74 sts. Work even in garter st for 3 in. [7.5 cm], end with a WS row.

I contacted lion brand and they told me not to confuse the cuff and the left front because you are on a diffrent part of the sweater. Now I'm TOTALLY confused and I think I might just croak over!!! The yarn was expensive for a baby sweater and I don't want to mess it up! If ANYONE has a suggestion please help!!! I'm confused!!!

Thanks!!!!
Tracy1275 is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Uh no, don't leave out any lines of a pattern, they need to be there. The sweater at this point is going to look a little odd until you get more of it done.

You've knit up the back, cast on stitches for the sleeve and worked 3 inches from there. Then you put stitches on a holder to be done later for the R side, BO for the neck, now you're going to work down the left front, which also includes the left sleeve and cuff. The increase and CO sts are to shape the front neckline.

Just follow the instructions and keep going to finish the left front, then work on the right front. Sew up the side and sleeve seams, sew on buttons and you're done.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Tracy1275
Casting On
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay thanks so much Sue! I was SO confused cause they told me to not do that part of the pattern. I could see the sweater taking shape but then when I did the additional cast on 2 then cast off 6 it lost shape! I'll go ahead and follow the instructions and see what happens. I wish they would have had a picture of what it looks like before it is sewn together I think that would have helped a bunch! Thanks for the advice!!! If it comes out right I'll have to post a picture in the forum! Thanks again!
Tracy1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Darcy
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish I had more advice
My first sweater, also from Lion Brand came out a disaster for what it's
worth. My problem (and still is) was with the sewing. It always looks so
bad. I gave up and the yarn is too fuzzy to unravel and save so I just
chalked it up as experience.

Patterns often confuse me, the one I'm doing now does but I'm going to
do what I think it says and just keep telling myself it is practice. I will
learn from it no matter how it turns out.

Keep practicing and you will be in love with your projects soon.
__________________
Darcy

I LOVE THIS FORUM!


My rather boring knitting blog


My Etsy store
Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Tracy1275
Okay thanks so much Sue! I was SO confused cause they told me to not do that part of the pattern. I could see the sweater taking shape but then when I did the additional cast on 2 then cast off 6 it lost shape! I'll go ahead and follow the instructions and see what happens. I wish they would have had a picture of what it looks like before it is sewn together I think that would have helped a bunch! Thanks for the advice!!! If it comes out right I'll have to post a picture in the forum! Thanks again!
Note that when you do the CO 2 and increases, they're on the WS which is confusing in garter stitch, but it's going to be on the neck edge, not the cuff edge. The cast off/BO 6 stitches will be those for the cuff. Then you decrease on the sleeve side for the next few inches the same way you increased for the back so they'll match. I agree, sometimes it's a good idea to show a presewing picture or schematic of all patterns so you know what shape they're supposed to look like. This one will be sort of a + shape with a split for the fronts on the upper arm of the +

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Tracy1275
Casting On
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG!!! Okay...when I did the CO 2 CO 6 I did it on the CUFF side which I thought was wrong. I had it on the neck side the 1st time but when I went into the shop to ask they said that was wrong!!!! OYE! Not going back there! Thanks Sue! That makes ALOT more sense to me!!! Now I'm excited to get that finished then! Since I've never made a sweater before I didn't know what I was looking at! I marked the WS by knitting in the tail for a few stitches like Amy suggests and that's how I marked it. Okay...I need to go back and take off the CO 2 and do it on the other side. Could you tell what kind of CO they wanted you to use? I only know how to the cable cast on so I was getting confused when it said knit to the end of the row, cast on 2 stitches. What I did was I worked to the end of the work, turned work and cast on the 2 stitches then worked the whole row in garter. Does that sound right? That's what they told me to do at the store. They said something that they thought they might mean "backward loop cast on" but I don't know how to do that one and they said the cable cast on was neater anyway...did I mess that up?
Tracy1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe
 
CarmenIbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California Desert
Posts: 5,994
Thanks: 16
Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
Great coaching Sue! Just wanted to pop in and say keep up the good work both of you. Completing patterns that we think are out of our league are what make us better knitters. If it makes you feel any better, I've been knitting four years and I have knit really hard things and really easy things. There is always a point in EVERY pattern where I need a little help (or moral support).

KEEP GOING, you can do it!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Tracy1275
OMG!!! Okay...when I did the CO 2 CO 6 I did it on the CUFF side which I thought was wrong. I had it on the neck side the 1st time but when I went into the shop to ask they said that was wrong!!!! OYE! Not going back there! Thanks Sue! That makes ALOT more sense to me!!! Now I'm excited to get that finished then! Since I've never made a sweater before I didn't know what I was looking at! I marked the WS by knitting in the tail for a few stitches like Amy suggests and that's how I marked it. Okay...I need to go back and take off the CO 2 and do it on the other side. Could you tell what kind of CO they wanted you to use? I only know how to the cable cast on so I was getting confused when it said knit to the end of the row, cast on 2 stitches. What I did was I worked to the end of the work, turned work and cast on the 2 stitches then worked the whole row in garter. Does that sound right? That's what they told me to do at the store. They said something that they thought they might mean "backward loop cast on" but I don't know how to do that one and they said the cable cast on was neater anyway...did I mess that up?
Idiots! The ones at the shop, of course. Of course there might be another bunch there a different day who actually know how to read patterns...

A cable CO is fine and it doesn't matter if it's at the end of a row or the beginning of one as long as it's on the edge. You did fine; some people do a knitted CO, some do cable, some do the backward loop (that's like what you do with your thumb on a long tail), it's your preference.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
Great coaching Sue! Just wanted to pop in and say keep up the good work both of you. Completing patterns that we think are out of our league are what make us better knitters. If it makes you feel any better, I've been knitting four years and I have knit really hard things and really easy things. There is always a point in EVERY pattern where I need a little help (or moral support).

KEEP GOING, you can do it!
Aw shucks... I work customer service and I guess I just like to help people. Although I'm probably gonna burn out on it one of these days.

Shoot, I learned to knit over 40 years ago, though I was away from it for 10-15 years, and I took it up again about 2 years ago. I've learned maybe almost as much in the last 2 years as I already knew. And I'm still learning stuff.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Tracy1275
Casting On
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AWWWW SUE!!!! You're a life saver!!!! I really thought I was going to croak!! I'm going to try and get a pic of the 1st half posted on here when I finish it which will probably be late tonight. Then I'll need some help to do the other side cause it says work in reverse. I'm sure I'm over thinking this but you know what you're talking about!!! I'm going to the store today to get some of those gloves for knitters cause my left hand where the thumb is is KILLING me! I think at one point I was holding the needles to tight or something cause where your thumb meets your palm it's hurting pretty bad. So we'll see if those help and I'll try and get that pic up later this evening!! Thanks again!!!!!

Tracy
Tracy1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you rework the bottom of a sweater without redoing the WHOLE sweater? vanessasmeding How-to Questions 5 04-02-2010 10:35 AM
Sweater Dress or Tunic (Long Sweater) knitAbikini Pattern Central 14 11-26-2007 03:32 PM
Hooded Placket Neck Sweater from The Sweater Workshop book lgpars What'cha Knittin'? 10 12-20-2006 10:16 AM
Sorta OT -- Sweater stone versus sweater shaver gardenmommy General Knitting 4 10-26-2006 01:30 PM
sweater question-first sweater ever LOST IN SPACE! stitchwitch How-to Questions 2 08-29-2006 02:36 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.