Old 01-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Help! Chart while knitting in the round
If I wanted to make my own pattern of something knitted in the round...say I wanted to knit a name on something that was knitted in the round...how would I follow the chart? I've never knitted from a chart before, and I'd probably be using this program to design the name.

Would I just knit the chart as it says without worrying about reversing the chart every other row? I don't know how to do this knitting flat, so knitting in the round is going to be harder for me to figure out I think.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
READING CHARTS

FLAT
xxxxxxxxxx--3
2-- xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx--1

ROUND
xxxxxxxxx--3
xxxxxxxxx--2
xxxxxxxxx--1

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

If that post's confusing, she means that knitting flat, you're alternating directions every row. But knitting in the round, you are coming from the same direction every row - that's a big bonus!

Just make sure to place a stitch marker, so you know which stitch you're up to, and if you want some help, google 'fair isle' or 'stranded colourwork'

If you prefer, you can make your own pattern - letters are pretty simple. If you do, use knitter's graph paper, as a stitch isn't square, so a pattern done on 'square' paper will look a bit distorted once knitted.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Unless your name goes all the way around, you're going to have a problem knitting it simply in the round. If you have an area with no contrasting color stitches, you'll get to the end of your name, work around the rest, and when you get to the beginning of your name, your yarn will be on the wrong side.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote