Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
losnana
Working the Gusset

Figure 8 cast on for 2 socks at one time on ML
I'm trying to use this method http://www.purlwise.com/2004/06/figu...st_o.html#more ro cast on for these socks http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoe...eedletoeup.htm

Once i have the correct number of stitches on the needle ( in this case 12 on the top needle and 11 on the bottomm needle per the pattern) do I start the knitting with the bottom needle, knitting the stitches on the top needle, or do I need another needle to start, then transfer to the needles I'll be using? I'm sure I'm thinking this to death and it is obvious to everyone else.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I recommend the turkish cast on instead. It's really easy, and the tutorial is specifically written for two-at-once socks on ML. Great pictures with step-by-step instructions. The results are beautiful, too.

P.S. To avoid a loose cast-on row that has to be adjusted later, instead of wrapping around both needles when you're casting on, pull the bottom needle out a bit so that you're wrapping around the top needle and the cord. Since the cord not as thick as a needle, the cast on will be a bit tighter.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
losnana
Working the Gusset

Jane, thanks so much. That is much easier. Just one more question: For a rounded toe, should i cast on 12, the number indicated in the pattern for the figure 8 or 1/2 of that number. I think 12, but want to be sure. thanks again for such a quick answer.

Julie