Old 01-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
suasponte
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to suasponte
How to read sweater pattern?
Hi,

I am currently knitting a sweater for a child and am a little confused by the instructions in the pattern. I am going to transpose the section I'm working on, and bold the text I am having trouble understanding.

Front (make 2): With 2 stands of CC using #11, CO 30 sts. Work in K2, P2 rib for 2". Change to MC. K2 tog across row 15 sts. When piece measures 12" shape neck: BO at beg of each neck edge 3 sts 1X, 2 sts 1X, 4sts 1X. 1. Work in rev. St. st. until piece measures 15.5". BO.

Ok, so I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do when the piece measures 12" -- do I bind off every other stitch until I've completed the 3/2/4 bind offs?

Also, when I'm working on the other side of the piece, do I have to do my BOs on the other side? It seems obvious that I should, because the pieces should be mirror images of each other, rather than copies.

Thanks for any enlightenment.
suasponte is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
At the neck edge, you'll bind off 3 stitches and finish the row. Work back. At the beginning, bind off 2 stitches and finish, work back. Then bind off 4 stitches at that edge.

And you're right. When you do the binding off on the other side, you'll do it on the reverse side so you're binding off on the neck edge at the beginning of the row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote