Old 01-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
gingergal4l8r
1st Leg of the Journey

Bought yarn without project
I went to the LYS on the weekend and bought some yarn without a project inmind.
The problem is I bought 5 skiens of all colors that go together and not one the same.

Now I am searching for a pattern to maybe go with great fall colors, or maybe just go back and reload on more of the same color.

Any suggestions.

PS taking it back is not in my vocabulary!

"Create memories worth repeating"

OTN:

Lace and Cable Afghan
Cropped Vest

gingergal4l8r is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
candicane
Working the Gusset

What is the yarn?

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
gingergal4l8r
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by candicane
What is the yarn?

candice
Red Heart Super Saver

Worsted Medium

"Create memories worth repeating"

OTN:

Lace and Cable Afghan
Cropped Vest

gingergal4l8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Originally Posted by gingergal4l8r
Red Heart Super Saver
Ouch. Sure you don't want to take it back? That stuff is awful scratchy and hurts my hands when I knit! You'll find it's not well loved around here.

At any rate, have you looked here for patterns? I'm sure you can find something!
Knitting Pattern Central

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

Welcome to the club! I see stash building in your near future. I haven't knit with that yarn so I can't give you any ideas other than the usual throw.

Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
DreamWeaver
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DreamWeaver
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Originally Posted by gingergal4l8r
Red Heart Super Saver
Ouch. Sure you don't want to take it back? That stuff is awful scratchy and hurts my hands when I knit![size=9] You'll find it's not well loved around here.
[/size
I heard somewhere (either around these parts or from the voices in my head) that if you wash the garmets with some fabric softener it makes them softer. Or maybe it was hair contitioner.... I dunno. Anway, don't knit if it holds any merit, but you could give it a shot...

FO's: Just finished both of my pink socks. Nothing fancy, but alright.
WIP: Nothing. It's so depressing
Up Next: Purse for my friend (still need to get yarn)
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
SerenaWelsh
Casting On

since it's all different colors and possibly a very scratchy yarn, how about knitting a handbag with colored shapes in it? You can use a pillow case to line it so things don't poke through.

I bought some yarn a few months back on clearance. There were only 4 small skeins. I didn't know what else to do, so I made a hand bag. I didn't have a pattern on hand, so I winged it. I sort of regret that now, as it's not a very pretty handbag.
If I'd had more, it would have made a very lovely sweater, though.

New Knitter's Mantra: "I am smarter than this ball of yarn."
SerenaWelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
bip
Turning the Heel

Hummm, I have kept my trap shut but now I am overcome and have to add my 2 cents.

It all depends on why you knit. I am a yarn snob. I will knit with cheap yarn if it is soft and doesn't boss me around (i.e. it has some give and doesn't split too much). BUT if it rubs or itches my fingers, pulls on my joints or squeeks, it's outta there.

I have knit with one Red Heart yarn that I don't mind (Red Heart Soft) and another that I don't care for but I could be convinced to use again (Symphony). But the one you have makes my hands sad. I might use it if I were the second to last person on earth and I had to knit myself something to protect myself from the murderous advances of the very last person. Then again, if I'm the last person on earth, I probably have some time on my hands so I might just learn how to shear and spin myself something delightful.

Here is my point, and I do have one. Knitting is supposed to be FUN. You had the fun of picking out the yarn, great. But now you are supposed to have the fun of picking out a pattern, then the fun of knitting with it, then the fun of giving the final product to someone or using it yourself.

You are already not having fun picking out a pattern. Then when you knit with it, it is going to make your hands sad. Then when you have battled it long enough to finish your project, you will have something in colors that don't go together.

The simplest solution is to go back to the store and exchange a few of the colors with a few that "go". Now you get to have a second dose of FUN when you buy the new skeins, plus the fun of ending up with something you like. Hopefully the process of picking out a pattern will be more fun too now that you aren't constrained by weird color combinations (particularly if you pick your pattern before choosing the new colors). That just leaves knitting with it, and you can stand anything if it's only for a little while. Once you are finished, it is back to FUN because you have something lovely that doesn't look like it was made on a dare.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
hmm...i don't think she was suggesting she had a problem with the yarns or the colors really. It sounded to me like the yarn just hadn't told her what it wanted to be yet. I didn't see any indication that she didn't like the yarn, and there are plenty who do love it...My grandmother was one of them and she made the most cuddly afghans i have ever known.

I don't know but if i had 5 skeins of complimentary colors i would seriously be considering a throw with different stitch patterns for each color and then stitched together....Kinda like a patchwork blanket.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

You could knit the pinwheel sweater for a child. There's a KAL for it over on the Knit-Along forum.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote