Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

need help with mitten pattern...
I am trying to make the Knittingatnoon.com's infant mitten with icord mittens for my daughter but I am confused. It is made with 2 sets of straight needles, well this is what it says:

"With smaller needles, cast on 24 (28, 32) stitches.
Work 8 (10, 12) rows in k1p1 ribbing.
Switch to larger needles and knit 1 row. Purl 1 row.
Repeat these two rows 0 (2, 2) times more.
For thumb-less, infant version, work even in stockinet stitch until piece measures 4-1/4" from beginning; go to "Shape Top.""
then it says
"Shape Top:
*knit 2, k2tog*; repeat from *.
Purl 1 row.
*knit 1, k2tog*; repeat from *.
Purl 1 row.
k2tog, across.

Cut yarn, leaving long tail. With tapestry needle, thread this tail through the remaining stitches and pull up tightly, fasten. Sew side seam. Weave in ends. Make a second mitten the same as the first.

With the coat or jacket on a hanger (or your child!) hang a tape measure through the sleeves to determine the required length for the I-cord. Work I-cord(on-site demo)and attach securely to mitten cuffs at side seams. Block lightly if desired."

I am still in the k1 row p1 row part but I am not seeing about if I am supposed to knit 2 of these and then finish them off together to make one glove or what? Am I just not seeing it or am I confused for a reason? I am wanting to make this as there is no right glove/left glove and they are attached together so they can't get lost.

Any help for me?

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It looks like one at a time. When you're finished with the knitting and decreases, you pull the yarn through the top stitches and use it to seam down the side of the mitten.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
figaro
Working the Gusset

I thank you for your reply but unfortunatly I am unable to wrap my brain around this for some reason! I think you are saying that when I am done with this side, I cut the yarn and make the other side then finish it off with a seam? (Can you say brain fart? Why is it so hard for me to understand this? )

Do you think that the Moorehouse Farm buggy mittens with DPN's would be easier than this, even though I have yet to knit with DPN's?

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You may be over looking the sentence which I put in bold:

Quote:
Cut yarn, leaving long tail. With tapestry needle, thread this tail through the remaining stitches and pull up tightly, fasten. Sew side seam. Weave in ends. Make a second mitten the same as the first.
After you cut the yarn and seam the first mitten, then you CO for the other mitten. The instructions at the site tell you how to make the Icord and you will sew it to each mitten cuff.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
After the knitting, you'll end up with a complete mitten that needs a seam down one side.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Hi Ingrid-

I just read your responses in a thread on Blocking (and Amy's linked article), but I am still not clear re what do do here. This scarf was knit with Lion Crochet 100% Cotton and Lion Wool-Ease (80-20 Acrylic-Wool blend) yarns on US 15 circ needles. It finished at 10" x 84". It is really stretchy, easily adding 60% in either dimension without looking grossly distorted.

In the past, with wools and animal fibers, I have been a loose and even knitter, whether K or P. But, I have never knitted crochet weight cotton on big needles before, so I am immediately suspicious of my gauge consistency. I can't tell if my gauge was even or not, because the scarf is mostly cotton and open, like fishnet, so . . . .

Should I block this? The dimensions are perfect as is, so I just would be trying to give it a more uniform appearance. Is that desirable, reasonable, feasible? : If I do need to block it, which method would you recommend? I have blocked wools, llama, and alpaca, but nunca y nada with cotton.

Groan. once again

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote