Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

? for Options users.
Do you use them exclusively or do you still use straights? For the last few months I've been using only my Options and bamboo DPN's. Last night I decided to make a bear and since the last one I made was on Susan Bates straights, I grabbed them again. I think the Options have spoiled me because I really didn't like using them. They felt heavy, unwieldy and slow. After about 4 rows, I dug out my Options. So far I've kept my collection of straights because I figured I might use them again, but now I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of them.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I gave up straight needles months ago even before I got my Options. I still have my straights but I couldn't tell you were in my house they are!!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

I haven't used my straights in years. I still ave them, but only use circulars or dpn's.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
jdee
Working the Gusset

I use my options for magic loop knitting, and afghans (or anything I need a cable to accomidate lots of stitches). For small items, I use my bamboo, and wooden straight needles. I gave my aluminum Boye, and Susan Bates straight needles to our local Christians In Action after my husband bought me a set of bamboo ones. I guess I just love the feel of wooden needles, and feel more homey (is that a word?) using them.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I got on the circular bandwagon pretty early in my knitting career, thanks to KH. I had one pair of straights as my starter needles, but I quickly gave them up once I got my Denises. Now that I have Options, I hardly touch the Denises. I'm not ready to give them up yet, though.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I have two straights, and I mean two, not two pairs. They're mismatched. I used circulars to knit flat before I got my Options, and I still do.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

I don't knit flat on circulars. I'm one of those people who stands the working needle on my thigh to help push the stitches up the needle, and that obviously doesn't work with circulars. I have a full set (size US 0-15) of bamboo straights that I bought on ebay and I *love* them for small flat projects. I love my circulars, too, but only for knitting in the round.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

I don't use straights much anymore, either, and virtually never the metal ones I bought when I first started. They are heavy and cold. But I was just wishing I had another pair of Lantern Moon straights. I only have one pair of their straights, in size 9, and I use them whenever I can. In fact, if a pattern calls for for size 10 I try to use them there, too. They're pretty pricey, though. I also have one pair of their circular needles, which are nice, but not as nice as my straights, I think.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

I use my straight needles to fill up my straight needle case. Oh and I have one in the bathroom to ease in parting my hair. I use another to pull fiber off my drum carder (for spinning). I think hubby has used one in the garage for something.

I knit on circulars almost exclusively, except for the rare time I use DPNs for socks, but even then I'm more inclined to use circs. All Hail the Circular Needle!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

my son likes to "knit" with my straight needles and tangled yarn. i also give them away when i meet someone who wants to knit. i give them a pair of straights and yarn appropriate for that size and teach them and then say here you go!

options, addis, and DPN bamboo only