Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Sweetie
Casting On

Different part of raglan sweater neck shaping
I have a feeling this won't be the last question on this pattern. I now understand joining the yarn and binding off 8 stiches in the middle and working both sides. Good to go on that one. I am confused about another part of this neck section.

The instructions (below) for the front say " Cont to work Raglan Armhole Shaping as for back..."

The part I don't understand is how much of the 'Raglan Armhole Shaping' from the BACK to complete before moving to the point where I 'join second ball of yarn'. At first it seemed I should work the full armhole as per the back to the point of binding off but then I don't understand why the pattern would subsequently say to continue as follows.. 'When all Raglan Armhole Shaping has been worked and piece measures same length as back...' as it implies continuing to knit more than just the binding off the 8 and doing the decreases.

Hope this is clear. Referenced pattern excerpt below.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BACK
Raglan Armhole Shaping: Bind off 4 (5, 6, 6, 6, 7) sts at beg of next 2 rows * 48 (52, 56, 62, 66, 70) sts. Dec 1 st each side every 3rd row 2 (2, 4, 4, 4, 6) times as foll:

when dec falls on RS row * K1, k2tog, k to last 3 sts; end ssk, k1;

when dec falls on WS row * p1, p2tog, p to last 3 sts; end ssp, p1. Dec 1 st each side every other row 15 (16, 15, 16, 18, 17) times, working only RS row dec above.

Bind off rem 14 (16, 18, 22, 22, 24) sts.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONT
Work as for back until piece measures 21 (22, 23, 24, 25, 26) (if you have adjusted body length to underarm, adjust accordingly), end with a WS row. Neck Shaping: Cont to work Raglan Armhole Shaping as for back, join 2nd ball of yarn and bind off center 8 (8, 10, 14, 14, 14) sts. Working both sides at once, dec 1 st from each neck edge every other row 2 (3, 3, 3, 3, 4) times. When all Raglan Armhole Shaping has been worked and piece measures same length as back, fasten off rem 1 st each side.

Again, help much appreciated for a beginner.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONT
Work as for back until piece measures 21 (22, 23, 24, 25, 26) (if you have adjusted body length to underarm, adjust accordingly), end with a WS row. Neck Shaping: Cont to work Raglan Armhole Shaping as for back, join 2nd ball of yarn and bind off center 8 (8, 10, 14, 14, 14) sts. Working both sides at once, dec 1 st from each neck edge every other row 2 (3, 3, 3, 3, 4) times. When all Raglan Armhole Shaping has been worked and piece measures same length as back, fasten off rem 1 st each side.
When you get to the neck shaping, you're going to continue doing the armhole shaping at the same time on the same rows. So you'll be doing armhole shaping on the ends of the rows and neck shaping in the middle.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Sweetie
Casting On

Raglan Neck Shaping More Help Please
OK, really appreciating the help but still confused. I think I understand the mechanics of joining the 2nd ball of yarn for the neck shaping, binding off the middle 8 sts and working both sides for sleeve shaping while forming the neck shaping.

What I think is confusing for me is at what point I am supposed to begin the neck shaping? If I start it right away, would the neck not be positioned at the same level as the underarm?

I'm already confused on the length since the pattern for the back to the underarm is knit to 14 1/2" while the front to the underarm is knit to 21".
I'm so confused. Help!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
BillSpace
1st Leg of the Journey

Ah: there's your confusion.

You don't knit 21 inches before you start your armhole. You knit the front the same as the back -- 14-1/2 inches or whatever -- and start your armhole shaping so that it matches the back. Then, when you get to 21 inches, you start the neck shaping.

A lot of assumptions are bound up in that "knit as for the back." You just didn't unpack all the assumptions.

Does that make sense now?
BillSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Sweetie
Casting On

Now I get it. Thanks so much. It is so much "fun" being a beginner! Thank goodness for the kindess of other knitters.