Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
Recognizing stitches
This is gonna sound really dumb - but I'm confused again!

One of Amy's vids says to recognize a knit and a purl, use the stitch on the needle as a head and see if the stitch below is a scarf or a noose - a scarf is a knit stitch, a noose is a purl.

BUT - which way should I be holding the work to look at it? If I look at it as if holding to do the next row, the stitches on the last row look like nooses, but if I turn around to the way it has just been knit they look like scarves.

So as I'm about to knit/purl into a stitch, if it looks like a noose - was it a knit or a purl on the row before?

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I had a very hard time with this when I first started knitting because I couldn't wrap my head around it logically...if i had just done a knit stitch why isn't it still a knit stitch? But i just had to stop thinking about it and go with what i was being told...lol. You need to look at the stitches as you are about to do them so if you are looking at it and you see a collar it is a knit stitch...if you see a noose (or turtleneck...heh) it is a purl.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
If you are doing stockinette then one row is knit and one row is purled. The knit side will look like vvvv and be smooth and flat. The purl side is the bumpy side.

In ribbing you will have the same look, but it will be alternating on both sides. The back of a knit stitch is a purl and the back of a purl stitch is a knit. So if you are ribbing and you start with a knit stitch and do k2p2 ribbing you would start with a purl on the back side:

kkppkkpp
ppkkppkk

The side facing you as you are about to knit is the side to look at.

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knit_purl_sample_774.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	35735  

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
niffer
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to niffer
Thank you Both!!!!

Thats so much clearer now!

"...and with this, Melusine fled into the Moselle and swam away, never to be seen again..."

OTN: Baby shawl from SuperStitch
Baby sweater from Ancient pattern.
Square 2 of the Art of Knitting Throw.

Projects to start sooooon: Strappy Top;

FO: 2 Scarves with pockets and flowers, (Blossom), Booties and many tiny Christmas Trees.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Re: Recognizing stitches
Originally Posted by niffer
This is gonna sound really dumb - but I'm confused again!

One of Amy's vids says to recognize a knit and a purl, use the stitch on the needle as a head and see if the stitch below is a scarf or a noose - a scarf is a knit stitch, a noose is a purl.

BUT - which way should I be holding the work to look at it? If I look at it as if holding to do the next row, the stitches on the last row look like nooses, but if I turn around to the way it has just been knit they look like scarves.

So as I'm about to knit/purl into a stitch, if it looks like a noose - was it a knit or a purl on the row before?
If it looks like a noose on the side you are about to work on then it was a knit on the row before. If it looks like a v on the side you are about to work on then it was a purl.

When you are knitting in stockinette and you knit a row, when you flip your needle to start the next row, the side facing you will be all purls. It doesn't matter which side you look at it from -- the stitch on the side you are about to work on is the reverse of what you just did on the previous row.

Does that make sense?

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Sometimes I get lost as to what stitch I just knitted, especially when doing ribbing, and a quick easy way to tell, without havign to check for scarves and nooses, is to look at the working yarn.

If it sits in front, you just purled, and if it sits in back you just knitted.

Recognizing the stitches made knitting oh so much easier for me...
Old 01-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

My thinking is that a knit stitch on the right side is a purl stitch on the wrong side, and vice versa. Am I in the ozone on that one? I've been using the "rule" that you decide if it's a knit or a purl by the way it looks on the side you're working on (if you can understand what I'm trying to say). Stitches with scarves (or V's) are knit stitches and nooses (or turtlenecks) are purls.

Joe
Old 01-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by JoeE
My thinking is that a knit stitch on the right side is a purl stitch on the wrong side, and vice versa. Am I in the ozone on that one? I've been using the "rule" that you decide if it's a knit or a purl by the way it looks on the side you're working on (if you can understand what I'm trying to say). Stitches with scarves (or V's) are knit stitches and nooses (or turtlenecks) are purls.

Joe
Nope, that's right - the back side of a knit is a purl stitch, the back side of a purl is a knit stitch. And whichever side you're going to work on is what you work on. Don't overthink it by trying to figure out what it was on the previous row.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
I am somewhat better at reconizing K and P stitches, but if these are part of a pattern involving, say, YO or K2T or S1, I really get confused. PLUS, I have at best a very foggy grasp of the distinction between the right & wrong sides, particulary because I mostly knit in the round, where garter and stockinette are different creatures indeed. That is, I think . . . .

If I allow myself to think I can recognize what's what, I am usually headed for a four-star frogging. As Ingrid say, "Just trust the pattern."

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
Think of the "right side" as the side you WANT to show. That makes it pretty easy.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote