Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
trublnde
Ribbing the Cuff

Straightening out circular needles wire
I recently bought some circular needles, however they are hard to knit with because the wire wants to curl up into a couple of little circles instead of just one circle. I am wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem and get the needles to stay in one circle. Thank you for your help.

~Sheree
trublnde is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
You can try dipping them in very hot water. It's not a perfect solution, but it might help. Once you have enough knitted fabric the weight will hold it straighter, too.

BTW..there are brands that don't curl. Addi Turbos and the new Knitpick Options are great for that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Mrs. Columbo

I have some Crystal Palace ones that did that and the man at the LYS said to pull them across the steam as it comes out of your kettle ... the Susan Bates ones come out good but there is no hope for the Boye needles ... I just got a set of Addis but haven't used them yet .. I have boiled my kettle and held the cord in there for a few seconds and out again, pulled on them and if not to your liking, repeat it.

Toby
Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
trublnde
Ribbing the Cuff

I will definately try this. I don't have a kettle, so i will probablyjust put them in a pot of hot water. If it doesn't work, I will buy a different brand. Thank you both for your help.
trublnde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Don't give up on them completely. Sticking them in hot water then letting them cool straight will help. Using them with large projects will too. It just takes time and they won't be absolutely straight, but won't coil up on you.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Mrs. Columbo
there is no hope for the Boye needles ...
I'm so glad to hear you say that! I thought it was just me. My Boye circs have a mind of their own. I'd rather hit my thumb with a hammer than use them.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Mrs. Columbo

Originally Posted by JoeE
Originally Posted by Mrs. Columbo
there is no hope for the Boye needles ...
I'm so glad to hear you say that! I thought it was just me. My Boye circs have a mind of their own. I'd rather hit my thumb with a hammer than use them.
If I had said "there is no hope for Boyes" it would have made a bad impression on the Male Knitters.

Toby
Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Silver
Instepping Out

I've never had a problem straightening circular needles, even Boye's.

I bring a pot of water to a full rolling boil. When it's ready, I turn on the cold water faucet. While holding the needle tips, I dunk the cable into the water for a few seconds, making sure it gets good and hot. Then I hold the tips apart to straighten the cable and run it under the cold water to cool it rapidly while holding it straight. Every cable as come out straight or nearly straight for me. HTH!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Silver
gets good and hot. Then I hold the tips apart to straighten the cable and run it under the cold water to cool it rapidly
Once again I'm amazed at how clever you'se guys are sometimes. I used hot water, then I tried to stand around like a clove on a ham waiting for them to cool. Wish I'd thought of the cold water idea. I'm going to boil my Boyes just to see if I can get it to work.

THANKS!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Word of caution...heat only the cable. If using boiling water, don't dunk the joint of needle and cable. This topic has been addressed numerous times on all knitting-related boards so you may run across more ideas in other threads but another suggestion, and one I do, is to heat the cable with blow dryer. If doing this solo, hold one needle between your knees, the other in hand while running dryer up and down length of cable. You'll literally see it relax. Then just hold straight for the few secs it takes to cool. Don't store coiled as it'll resume its old form.

cam
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote