Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I agree KH is an invaluable resource for tips, community, and just good fun~!!
Ainee

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
five_six
Turning the Heel

yeppers, i have to agree, this is where i choose to lay my hat. Although, sometimes i get no knitting done at all because of this site, you naughty, naughty people

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
Nakia
Ribbing the Cuff

This forum ROCKS
I have been browsing on many forums and I must admit that this is the best forum ever. I am new to knitting and when I have attempt to do a new pattern and there is a stitch that I am unfamiliar with I check the teaching videos which shows me what I have to do in clear and precise instructions.

I enjoy the new bobble and cabling without cable instructional videos

Just a little note to let you know that this forum ROCKS!!!
Nakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
Indygirl

Originally Posted by BinkyKat View Post
I "big puffy heart" this site too! I think the fact that Amy is a stickler for not having too many board on the Forum keeps it navigable (sp?) and intimate. No matter what time of day you can post a question and you'll get a quick kind reply, even if you go to bed and wake up to check the next a.m.

When the site goes down, it's like cutting my yarn in the middle of the row!!!

I have to second this. My knitting has come a long way because of this forum.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,479 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I think we all feel that way! When the board goes down we act like someone stole our morning coffee.

Hopefully that is a thing of the past since we upgraded servers! I always joked that when KH was down worldwide productivity increased.

I am glad you guys liked the forum. I remember when KH was just starting out, one of the first things Amy asked me to create was a forum. I sort of dragged my feet a bit, thinking it wouldn't be that popular. I figured I could add it in later when we had more time. But she kept on the issue and I we made it a priority. I guess the rest is history. The forum was "discovered" almost immediately and is now the heart and soul of KH. We are glad people embrace it so fully and call it their home on the web.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #16
knitasha
Turning the Heel

[quote=DonnaS;756338]
Most of the boards I went to were either nearly dead or breathing their last gasp... or if you posted it was hard to get a response or the board itself was hard to negotiate and difficult to find things in. [quote]

Okay, this is a shift from the puffy hearts and marshmallows.
knittinghelp.com is a good, lively, helpful forum, and the recent changes in format have made it even better.
But the tone of the original quote saddens me.
It is not necessary to knock other venues in order to praise this one. They have other objectives, other demographics, other issues, other "personalities."

The TKGA forum, for instance, is skewed toward people involved in the Master Knitter program. Which is as it should be, since TKGA sponsors the program. Participants tend to be more experienced knitters looking for new ways to hone their skills and develop their craft. There aren't too many newbie questions, and not too much general blather, but I've never met a nicer, more knowledgeable, more helpful bunch. You may not get a dozen answers to your questions, but you'll get thoughtful, friendly, in-depth advice.

knitty.com is quite naturally geared toward knitty readers. There's a lot more personal, non-knitting stuff and the demographic seems to be younger than TKGA. The vibe is irreverent but caring.

knittinghelp.com seems to be somewhat oriented to the less experienced knitter -- lots of beginner questions and concerns. That's fine. Amy's teaching videos are excellent and I've seen them recommended on other forums. (Knitters are generous people.)

I've only come across one forum that was downright unpleasant. Participants seemed to enjoy putting down others who asked "stupid" questions and indulging in snarky gossip. Fun for some, not for me.

The point is: there's a place for everyone in the world of knitting, and many people populate several boards that serve different needs. I'm happy that Donna has found her place. That doesn't mean that the others are no good.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
knitting_mom
Casting On

I am a newbie too and a long time crochter. I love this forum so much. It seems I was just like you and finally found this board.
knitting_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
1to1
Turning the Heel

I love coming here to find out what's new in the knitting community. I've learned so much from coming here and am so glad to see it flourish.

1to1
1to1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
MarthaStarWarsFan
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sheldon View Post
Hopefully that is a thing of the past since we upgraded servers! I always joked that when KH was down worldwide productivity increased.

I am glad you guys liked the forum. I remember when KH was just starting out, one of the first things Amy asked me to create was a forum. I sort of dragged my feet a bit, thinking it wouldn't be that popular. I figured I could add it in later when we had more time. But she kept on the issue and I we made it a priority. I guess the rest is history. The forum was "discovered" almost immediately and is now the heart and soul of KH. We are glad people embrace it so fully and call it their home on the web.
Thanks for putting together such a great forum...complete with smilies!

Thanks to KH I learned to "cable without needles" today....

Keep up the great work, guys!

Martha
MarthaStarWarsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #20
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I am so inspired by this forum to try new things. Just looking at all the wonderful completed projects and patterns is so uplifting.
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote